• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman : Master of Dreams #1 - could the grade be above 9.8?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

78337.thumb.jpg.ad3ac4b2228d738ecf63e6edcc3ed3cf.jpg

I realize that this one photo is not enough, but that's part of the question I have. I'm a 100% nubie, and I'm afraid to take this out of it's case. 

I think this could be worth over $1k if it's 9.8 grade or above, but I'm also seeing that the slightest damage could lower it's worth by hundreds of dollars. 

There's a story behind this. I bought each of the Sandman comics in 1989 as they were published. I loved them. Then in 1991, when I was home from college, I spread out all my comic books on a ping pong table in our family's basement, and one of my brother's "friends" stole my first few issues.  I loved those comics so much, that I went out an bought replacements --- paying $15 for the first issue, which for me at the time was a lot of money. It was a hard purchase to make! I bought it from the comic store and never opened it. It's never been read, or even taken out of it's bag. I look at it now and it looks like it's in perfect condition. Even the corners are sharp. 

Could its grade be above 9.8, maybe 9.9? Should I even take it out of the bag to find out?

Welcome. The only way to even begin a 9.9. or even a 9.8 discussion is to take multiple proper photos out of the bag of the entire book. 9.9 is near improbable so I would suggest tempering expectations so that you won't feel a tremendous letdown should it grade lower. Best of luck.

Not that I see any flaws, but IMO there's a better chance of it coming back as a 9.6 than a 9.9 or better. I am simply basing this on historical results. I had a trusted Overstreet adviser tell me that you could send in a stack of what you believe are perfect. Some will certainly come back 9.8, but several could come back as 9.6's or even 9.4's. None will come back as a 9.9 or better. And, he's sent in thousands of books for grading. So, while not impossible, highly improbable. CGC is very meticulous and thorough, and they see things you don't. 

It's possible to handle high grade comicbooks without damaging them.  Take some pics according to forum rules.

Still, looking at it through the bag, I can see corner blunting at the lower spine. 9.8 is very doubtful.

The aforementioned corner could be a bindery tear but it looks pretty rounded. 

9.4, maybe 9.6 if conditions are right.

I have 3 copies. 1 is slabbed and a Qualified 9.6 with Gaiman's unwitnessed signature. I mentioned it because it looks flawless in the slab but it still didn't get a 9.8.

Thanks for posting. This is one of my Top 10 favorite comicbooks.

PGM stands for Please Grade My.

Pics were excellent.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:06 PM, grendelbo said:

Thanks for posting. This is one of my Top 10 favorite comicbooks.

Yeah. These are among my very favorite too. Maybe top 5. I didn't really pay attention to who Gaiman was back then, but I like Roger Zelazny a lot, and so I also bought the full series of the Books of Magic - which I love too ... no one else seemed to like them, so I bought multiple copies. I bought comics out of love, not thinking about collection value,  but it's cool to see they now have collection value too!

Edited by Mark Riley

I think you want at least two more pics for a full assessment.  You took a pic of the spine for the top part of the book, but not the bottom where the corner issue is.  That's going to give people a better idea how significant it is.  You also want to show a pic of the back cover.  Very nice book though.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:12 AM, ninanina said:

CGC is very meticulous and thorough, and they see things you don't. 

This is so true. They're all mutants, a well kept secret.... (OOOPS!)  

This is how the atoms of the comics look to the CGC graders' unaided eyes! 

There are eagles, proud of their visual acuity, who are in awe of these optic-Supermen!  (worship)

atoms.gif

On 8/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, Mark Riley said:

Thanks @grendelbo . Sounds like I should anticipate that all my perfect-looking-to-me books are probably in that 9.0 - 9.6 range then I guess. Good to know!

A good way to think and hey, you may very well have a 9.8 in there (never ever ever expect a 9.9 or 10.0 As they are extremely rare grades to get)

People here tend to be conservative. From what I see, I think the book has 9.6-9.8 potential. If grading and selling (or grading and keeping in its excellent shape) is the goal, do it as I think it is a great book and great looking book worthy of a high grade. I don’t see any spine ticks (need to see the back) and the corners are sharp which, if nothing else is happening like minute creases or stains, means you have a solid shot at 9.6-9.8