• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC slabbed comic in a vacuum sealed plastic bag?

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm Luca from Italy. I want to protect my CGC comics from rust and moisture. Would it be alright if I sealed each CGC slab in a plastic bag, probably a Mylar or else, with a vacuum machine like the ones meant for fresh foods? Would there be risk of cracking the slab from the depressurization? Thanks.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  We could not advise you on this as we do not test out the holders in this way.  Our holders are not vacuum sealed and are not water tight but they are meant for long term storage when stored in the proper conditions.  Our recommendations for optimum storage for a slabbed CGC book would be about 50% humidity (not too wet or too dry) and about 70-73 degrees.  The best thing is for maintenance of the temperature and the humidity without big spikes in either. 

Thank you!

On 8/4/2021 at 10:02 AM, SexyBeast said:
On 8/4/2021 at 4:56 AM, luca1985 said:

Hello, I'm Luca from Italy. I want to protect my CGC comics from rust and moisture. Would it be alright if I sealed each CGC slab in a plastic bag, probably a Mylar or else, with a vacuum machine like the ones meant for fresh foods? Would there be risk of cracking the slab from the depressurization? Thanks.

Comics need to breathe or they will stew in their own juices.

Yeah. What that Sexy Beast said. Don't seal them up

On the other hand, as an experiment, you could take a low value slab and vacuum seal it just to see what happens. It would be interesting to see long term effects.