• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

15 posts in this topic

Let's stay hypothetically you get some nice original owner Golden Age books. That have some nice mid grades and nice high grades in it. Would you scan each and everyone and keep those on file in case after the original sale some are pressed or messed with to improve the book?

Let's stay hypothetically you get some nice original owner Golden Age books. That have some nice mid grades and nice high grades in it. Would you scan each and everyone and keep those on file in case after the original sale some are pressed or messed with to improve the book?

I would definitely scan the high grades Russ. I think you have to have a cutoff somewhere. Otherwise you'll make a second career out of scanning.

PS....Grandpa Red will be getting back to you.....sorry. foreheadslap.gif Not been on my game lately.

I would definitely scan the high grades Russ. I think you have to have a cutoff somewhere. Otherwise you'll make a second career out of scanning.

Perhaps just the ones that guide $400 and up. Good idea.

I agree that any high grades should definitely be scanned. Which others should be scanned realistically depends on the size of the collection. If it's too much work to scan them all, I would focus on the mid grade books that are most likely to be "improved" in the future.

Just scan them from the most expensive first and then work your way down.....when you run out of energy, or hard disc space or time.....leave it at that.

Part of my suggestion about CGC scanning submissions, was for them to just scan, say the top 10% to 20% of books in terms of dollar value. Just knowing that there's at least that much of a chance a trimmer might be caught (along with the accompanying effect on business), might be enough of a deterrent.

I'd get a real job . . . yeahok.gif quit trolling sumo.gif

Without question. Absolutely.

How exactly is starting a thread trolling?

Ouch..Did Russ pee in your corn flakes today? 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I scan all the nicer ones to satisfy my own curiousity. With that said...what would you do if you indeed did find some had been "improved"? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

I scan all the nicer ones to satisfy my own curiousity. With that said...what would you do if you indeed did find some had been "improved"? confused-smiley-013.gif

Publicize it so that everyone else can make an informed decision as to what they want to do. thumbsup2.gif

If you plan on selling them on your site, you will need a scan regardless, no? confused-smiley-013.gif

For records sake, I would set a dollar amount and scan anything over that amount.

If hard drive space is a problem, contact me and I can maybe work out a trade for you thumbsup2.gif I get supplies (comp) cheap!

JG

Publicize it so that everyone else can make an informed decision as to what they want to do. thumbsup2.gif

That's obvious...but where do you do this? This Forum only hits a limited set of collectors. A grand database on the Internet available to all and publicized throughout comicdom would go a long way to making such information available to the collective masses. And could possibly limit the number of books affected down the road...

Jim