• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Streaming Content is getting so bad...
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Streaming Content is getting so bad I pretty much just watch You Tube Channels 95% of the time nowadays. Not sure what happened to HBO either.  I used to get excited about Sunday nights on HBO and now nothing.  With the exception of The Big Bang Theory and 60 Minutes I have not watched network TV in years.  I'm not trying to start a big debate here just curious how others feel?

I’m good with Netflix and HBO as far as all the older stuff they have. I plan to watch Breaking Bad and Black Mirror all the way through again on Netflix and Band of Brothers on HBO. Lots of series on both I would love to revisit. But I’m with you on new content. Not exciting at all. I may cancel HBO soon. I get Netflix through T-Mobile so thats not going away. I also pay for AMC+ through AppleTV which is $8.99 and includes IFC and Shudder. 

It may be limiting what you appreciate causing your dissatisfaction.

I have both HBO Max and Hulu. And they have loads of content I am having a good time watching. Not just superheroes and space wars to target.

Even with reruns, I am rewatching Vikings and Cloak & Dagger on Hulu. Having a great time revisiting this content. Along with Always Sunny In Philadelphia. And then there is The Handmaid's Tale we are seeing for the first time, which is powerful content.

With the HBO Max content, I am getting a great intro to the modern Doctor Who slowing working my way through 12 seasons. And over many months surprised how entertained by content such as The Flight Attendant, Search Party, Raised By Wolves, The White Lotus, Mare of Easttown, Q Into The Storm, The Undoing, Lovecraft Country, His Dark Materials, Made For Love or the animated comedy The Prince.

Expanding your entertainment focus versus limiting it to just Marvel, Star Wars or DC may be the root cause of the concern.

:foryou:

My problem is that every network has their own streaming service now.  The point of streaming was to originally get away from cable.  But now there's Amazon Prime, HBOMax, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, on top of the individual networks (Paramount+, NBC Universal, etc).  If you want everything, you're paying more than you would have with cable.  You do get more content, and some better stories, but I can't help that we've exchanged one problem for another.

On 8/8/2021 at 7:29 AM, ExNihilo said:

My problem is that every network has their own streaming service now.  The point of streaming was to originally get away from cable.  But now there's Amazon Prime, HBOMax, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, on top of the individual networks (Paramount+, NBC Universal, etc).  If you want everything, you're paying more than you would have with cable.  You do get more content, and some better stories, but I can't help that we've exchanged one problem for another.

That's what I dislike more.

I so want to watch all the Star Trek content that I can get my hands on. But I am not going to pay for yet another streaming service. The same with Disney+ where so much of the legacy content I want to see I own already through decades of Disney effective marketing to buy it before it gets locked in 'The Vault' or just loving a given film or TV show and I wanted.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

I so want to watch all the Star Trek content that I can get my hands on.

That's my problem.  I want to watch Star Trek, but I'm not gonna subscribe to Paramount+ just to watch one thing.  I'm not subscribing to HBOMax JUST to watch Suicide Squad.  At least with Disney+, I've got Mandalorian, Imagineering Story, Bad Batch, all the Marvel series, Frozen II Behind the Scenes, etc.  I'm a big enough Disney fan (and I subscribed at the D23 Expo promoted price of like $4/month) that it makes sense to subscribe to that, even though I have a lot of the original movies on DVD/Blu Ray.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:09 AM, ExNihilo said:

That's my problem.  I want to watch Star Trek, but I'm not gonna subscribe to Paramount+ just to watch one thing.  I'm not subscribing to HBOMax JUST to watch Suicide Squad.  At least with Disney+, I've got Mandalorian, Imagineering Story, Bad Batch, all the Marvel series, Frozen II Behind the Scenes, etc.  I'm a big enough Disney fan (and I subscribed at the D23 Expo promoted price of like $4/month) that it makes sense to subscribe to that, even though I have a lot of the original movies on DVD/Blu Ray.

If you think the only thing HBO Max has to offer is Suicide Squad, you are missing out on a load of content never released before.

But respect your appreciation is more Disney focused.

Now this is where a given streaming service targeting a general audience can go wrong.

Disney Plus’ butt cover-up hides a much bigger problem

There’s a scene in Touchstone Pictures’ 1984 movie Splash where a young Tom Hanks watches a beautiful naked mermaid run off into the ocean from which she came. In the original version, the camera follows Hanks’ gaze, showing a brief glimpse of a naked butt. Splash received a PG rating because of the shot (and the insinuation that came with it), but people watching the movie on Disney Plus are greeted with an entirely different version of the scene.

In the re-edited version, which went viral, thanks to the tweet below, Disney used CGI hair to cover actress Daryl Hannah’s body. A Disney representative confirmed to The Verge that a “few scenes” from Splash were “slighted edited to remove nudity,” but they did not specify when the edits were made.

A minor edit. But what it conveyed is these streaming services wanting to fill air time with its older content can lead to such changes so as to appease family standards. How far does it go where you want to NOT see these classics.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:09 AM, ExNihilo said:

The library available on HBOMAX is impressive. It dwarfs Disney+. Until Disney ups their content its just not worth it to me since I already own all the Star Wars and select Marvel movies on either Blu-ray or itunes. Netflix and HBO have more value over D+.  However, if I had young kids, I would definitely keep Disney.

If anyone is still killing it compared to all the streaming platforms, Netflix seems to have a steady flow of shows and movies that are not limited by in-house brands or smaller target audiences. Along with delivering syndicated content.

VULTURE: New on Netflix

Available August 1

• 30 Rock: Seasons 1-7
  • Beethoven
  • Beethoven’s 2nd
  • Beowulf
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Darwin’s Game
  • Deep Blue Sea
  • The Edge of Seventeen
  • Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  • Five Feet Apart
  • Friday Night Lights: Seasons 1-5
  • Good Luck Chuck
  • The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia
  • Hunter X Hunter (2011): Seasons 5-6
  • Inception
  • The Lincoln Lawyer
  • The Losers
  • The Machinist
  • Magnolia
  • Major Payne
  • My Girl
  • My Girl 2
  • The Net
  • The Original Kings of Comedy
  • Pineapple Express
  • Poms
  • Seabiscuit
  • Space Cowboys
  • Team America: World Police

Available August 3

• Pray Away – Netflix Documentary
  • Shiny_Flakes: The Teenage Drug Lord – Netflix Documentary
  • Top Secret UFO Projects: Declassified – Netflix Series

Available August 4

• Aftermath
  • American Masters: Inventing David Geffen
  • Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami – Netflix Documentary
  • Control Z: Season 2 – Netflix Series
  • Car Masters: Rust to Riches: Season 3 – Netflix Series
  • Cooking With Paris – Netflix Series

Available August 6

• Hit & Run – Netflix Series
  • Navarasa – Netflix Series
  • The Swarm – Netflix Film
  • Vivo – Netflix Film

Available August 8

• Quartet

Available August 9

• SHAMAN KING – Netflix Anime
  • Available August 10
    Gabby’s Dollhouse: Season 2 – Netflix Family
    Phil Wang: Philly Philly Wang Wang – Netflix Comedy Special
    UNTOLD – Netflix Documentary

Available August 11

• Bake Squad – Netflix Series
  • The Kissing Booth 3 – Netflix Film
  • La diosa del asfalto
  • Misha and the Wolves – Netflix Documentary

I just can't bring myself to spend the $13.99/month on top of what I have. Not yet.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

Now this is where a given streaming service targeting a general audience can go wrong.

Disney Plus’ butt cover-up hides a much bigger problem

A minor edit. But what it conveyed is these streaming services wanting to fill air time with its older content can lead to such changes so as to appease family standards. How far does it go where you want to NOT see these classics.

I got paranoid and checked my copy of Splash on iTunes. Still the original cut. I wondered because studios have replaced copies of itunes movies I bought in HD with 4K versions like Raiders of the Lost Ark and quite a few others. No extra charge. 

On 8/8/2021 at 8:52 AM, Scam Likely said:

I got paranoid and checked my copy of Splash on iTunes. Still the original cut. I wondered because studios have replaced copies of itunes movies I bought in HD with 4K versions like Raiders of the Lost Ark and quite a few others. No extra charge. 

I found this out with Johnny Mnemonic where with certain DVD releases depending on when they were released the laser cut scene of Ralfi is removed to appease family system ratings.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:52 AM, Scam Likely said:

The idea that companies can now edit content on a whim is a little disturbing to me.  The original film or show makers made the decisions they did.  Please let them stand.  I do not like that some anonymous people in a boardroom are more concerned with modern optics then the integrity of art.  It is a potentially dangerous practice. It starts with small edits,  then leads to entire scenes, and then hole movies being taken away. It is akin to modern day book burning. 

As for new Star Trek, you are not missing much. I have seem most of it, and it is not worth the money.  It is so far from TOS, TNG, DS9, and even Enterprise that oy remotely feels.like it takes place in the same universe.

On 8/8/2021 at 9:18 AM, drotto said:

The idea that companies can now edit content on a whim is a little disturbing to me.  The original film or show makers made the decisions they did.  Please let them stand.  I do not like that some anonymous people in a boardroom are more concerned with modern optics then the integrity of art.  It is a potentially dangerous practice. It starts with small edits,  then leads to entire scenes, and then hole movies being taken away. It is akin to modern day book burning. 

As for new Star Trek, you are not missing much. I have seem most of it, and it is not worth the money.  It is so far from TOS, TNG, DS9, and even Enterprise that oy remotely feels.like it takes place in the same universe.

It gets worse.

Report: Hollywood Studios Could Soon Insert Digital Product Placement Ads Into Classic Films And TV Shows

Studios, to find new revenue, have possibly considered editing old productions to insert new brand products.

Major Hollywood studios might soon be inserting digital product placement ads into classic films and TV shows on their streaming services in the near future.

A new report from The BBC claims digital product placement is just around the corner for classic films and TV shows and it’s already being deployed in China as well as on ABC’s sitcom Modern Family.

With the deep fake technology companies have figured out how to replace old content with it. so if you think streaming 'sucks' now, just wait. You'll be watching Casablanca and Rick will hold up his favorite coffee brand - which didn't even exist back then.

:popcorn:

On 8/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

It gets worse.

Report: Hollywood Studios Could Soon Insert Digital Product Placement Ads Into Classic Films And TV Shows

Studios, to find new revenue, have possibly considered editing old productions to insert new brand products.

With the deep fake technology companies have figured out how to replace old content with it. so if you think streaming 'sucks' now, just wait. You'll be watching Casablanca and Rick will hold up his favorite coffee brand - which didn't even exist back then.

:popcorn:

Yeah, this came out a few months ago.  Also with deep fake tech, popular actors never have to die or grow old.  Families can I theory keep milking their relatives fame long after their deaths.

How much should things be altered?  How gets to make those decisions?  That is why I am on the side of leave it the F alone.

Edited by drotto

On 8/8/2021 at 9:33 AM, drotto said:

Yeah, this came out a few months ago.  Also with deep fake tech, popular actors never have to die or grow old.  Families can I theory keep milking their relatives fame long after their deaths.

How much should things be altered?  How gets to make those decisions?  That is why I am on the side of leave it the F alone.

No-no. I just posted it again. It only existed when I posted it again.

:baiting:

Oh wait. That's only when someone notes "None of you have thought of this before I posted it..."

(:

On 8/8/2021 at 10:02 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Remember, my point of this thread was NEW content, not new to you or who has the bigger library.

There is loads of new content on many platforms. It is what you are looking for specifically that may lead to disinterest.

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix), Sweet Tooth (Netflix), The Old Guard (Netflix), Locke & Key (Netflix), Lucifer (Netflix) are coming from comic book sources. It may come down to not having access to platforms such as Netflix leading to a lack of enjoyment with current content.