• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6 Wizard World Events are joining Fan Expo HQ - Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Cleveland, Portland and New Orleans

20 posts in this topic

(August 10, 2021, 7:00 a.m. PT/10 a.m. ET – Toronto, ON): Today, FAN EXPO HQ shared big plans to change the fan convention industry in North America forever, when it announced six of Wizard World’s (OTC:WIZD) largest U.S. shows will join its portfolio. Wizard World’s events in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Portland, St. Louis, and Cleveland will be rebranded as FAN EXPO events in 2022. The FAN EXPO portfolio will run 17 shows in North America, making it the largest producer of fan conventions in the world.

Wizard World’s 6 U.S. shows will be rebranded in 2022 as:

- FAN EXPO Chicago

- FAN EXPO Philadelphia

- FAN EXPO New Orleans

- FAN EXPO Portland

- FAN EXPO St. Louis

- FAN EXPO Cleveland

On 8/10/2021 at 10:50 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

(August 10, 2021, 7:00 a.m. PT/10 a.m. ET – Toronto, ON): Today, FAN EXPO HQ shared big plans to change the fan convention industry in North America forever, when it announced six of Wizard World’s (OTC:WIZD) largest U.S. shows will join its portfolio. Wizard World’s events in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Portland, St. Louis, and Cleveland will be rebranded as FAN EXPO events in 2022. The FAN EXPO portfolio will run 17 shows in North America, making it the largest producer of fan conventions in the world.

Wizard World’s 6 U.S. shows will be rebranded in 2022 as:

- FAN EXPO Chicago

- FAN EXPO Philadelphia

- FAN EXPO New Orleans

- FAN EXPO Portland

- FAN EXPO St. Louis

- FAN EXPO Cleveland

What have booths cost at recent Fan Expo Cons?  Wondering if I can expect a large contingent of comic book dealers at future shows in Cleveland.

Edited by 1Cool

On 8/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, 1Cool said:

What has booths cost at recent Fan Expo Cons?  Wondering if I can expect a large contingent of comic book dealers at future shows in Cleveland.

I’m sure that has to be looked at - like what has been charged historically versus costs of facility rental, decorator, etc

On 8/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, aardvark88 said:

Does this mean 6 ex-Wizard World USA cons will be coordinated out of Toronto, ON, Canada?

Somewhat. The team is expanding with many members US based including many experienced people who used to work for other promoters.

Hey @Kevin Boyd, do you have a sense of when we may see 2022 dates for these new shows? Really hoping Chicago stays over the summer and also isn't at the very end of August like it has been. When it overlaps with the opening of campus I can't make the trip. Thanks!

On 8/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, mysterio said:

Hey @Kevin Boyd, do you have a sense of when we may see 2022 dates for these new shows? Really hoping Chicago stays over the summer and also isn't at the very end of August like it has been. When it overlaps with the opening of campus I can't make the trip. Thanks!

The deal was just announced, I know they are looking at what's available at the facilities and trying to book them in and around our other events. I think for all intents and purposes, if one was doing well at a specific time of year that it will probably be on the schedule around the same time. Wizard had announced some dates, but aside from the October 15-17 show everything else is now TBA. I'm sure we don't want Fan Expo Chicago 2022 to be on the same weekend as Fan Expo Canada (last weekend of August).

Edited by Kevin Boyd

On 8/15/2021 at 7:41 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

The deal was just announced, I know they are looking at what's available at the facilities and trying to book them in and around our other events. I think for all intents and purposes, if one was doing well at a specific time of year that it will probably be on the schedule around the same time. Wizard had announced some dates, but aside from the October 15-17 show everything else is now TBA. I'm sure we don't want Fan Expo Chicago 2022 to be on the same weekend as Fan Expo Canada (last weekend of August).

Late July/early August for Chicago would be perfect. :wishluck:

On 8/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, blazingbob said:

Not likely

Yea - that is what I was thinking also.  With all the celebrities that they have to fly in I'd think the booth fees will stay higher then what most smaller dealers can afford.

On 8/17/2021 at 3:59 PM, 1Cool said:

Yea - that is what I was thinking also.  With all the celebrities that they have to fly in I'd think the booth fees will stay higher then what most smaller dealers can afford.

Most larger promoters do not see what smaller local dealers do for the show or show attendance.   Bigger dealers like regional dealers because frankly why do I need to see the same guys at every show.  

Local dealers promote shows,  good relationships with promoters result in higher attendance.  It should be a win/win for both parties because quite frankly why does a local dealer want to expose his customer base to competitors unless he gets something out of it?

Wizard has one show left - Chicago in October. The previously announced Wizard dates for their other events have been removed. I'm waiting to hear on when the 2022 dates for these events will be but if there is a New Orleans show in January it will be Fan Expo New Orleans.