• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Verification Of Sigs On Nonverifiable Books Is Such A Bad Idea

26 posts in this topic

Unverified signatures that look authentic based on comparisons are a selling point, but one shouldn't expect a premium for them. I suppose some may feel better about them if the so-called experts at CBCS or some other company "verify" them, but it's not that hard to compare for oneself. I've had a few signed books pass through my hands, often by people that died before CGC sig series were a thing, and if they aren't genuine somebody went through a lot of trouble to make them look so with no apparent plan to profit from it (as mostly the sigs weren't even advertised).

On 8/16/2021 at 1:06 PM, rjpb said:

Unverified signatures that look authentic based on comparisons are a selling point, but one shouldn't expect a premium for them. I suppose some may feel better about them if the so-called experts at CBCS or some other company "verify" them, but it's not that hard to compare for oneself. I've had a few signed books pass through my hands, often by people that died before CGC sig series were a thing, and if they aren't genuine somebody went through a lot of trouble to make them look so with no apparent plan to profit from it (as mostly the sigs weren't even advertised).

Yes.  Most comic creator signatures would have very little value (even some of the older ones).  It's the same with most contemporary authors.  Most are people no one would bother to forge.  Part of the point of getting a comic signed is to be there with the person when they sign it.  Then it has some personal meaning.  Generally, unless it's an official limited/signed thing (and then part of the attraction is the limitation), then signatures may be kind of fun, but certainly not worth paying extra for (CGCs signature series fall into that "official limited/signed" special product category, even if the exact limitation may be unknown -- it's a product separate from just the comic itself).

On 8/15/2021 at 12:59 PM, Terry JSA said:

It’s an interesting experiment. I only have 1 verified signature book from CBCS since it’s signed by Bob Kane. Other than that, if I want a signature for any of my books, I always get a witness no matter what. 

Terry, your profile pic reminds me.... Did I see you on Reddit holding onto a super-sexy Tec 168?