• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Books Scuttled By Stan Lee
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2021 at 7:05 PM, HighVoltage said:

Two things about Neal:

1) He can be a narcissistic Richard for sure.
I've met 'regular' Neal (fun interaction) and 'Richard' Neal (see ya later, Neal, I ain't paying for anything you're selling today).

2) He (usually) has terrific signature placement & a good signature.

I don't even need to interact with him. Can just send a book or two to his store or buy some from his store already signed. He DOES have good sig placement. And an instantly recognizable sig at that. Like Wrightson or Walt Simonson.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:49 PM, kav said:

I've seen sharpie turn brown over the years-its not an ideal choice for sigs in my opinion.

They do turn a hideous faded-yet-dark-brown! I've seen it a lot in books. And sometimes the ink spreads out on the paper making the signature 'blobby'. Finally, the ink often passes entirely through the paper and stains further pages. It can take 10-20 years for this to happen fully. I've wondered if this might turn out to be a very big problem in the future. Who will want to buy a slabbed AF 15 for 6 figures if you know if you were to crack it open there might be ghosts of the signature on the first two or three pages! However there are many times where there isn't a problem with sharpie and felt pen signatures-maybe something having to do with different papers or different chemical compositions for the ink, so who knows. Any Comic I've ever gotten signed I've gotten signed on the first interior page and with a ball point pen. No problems with this method.

On 8/17/2021 at 6:41 PM, Book Guy said:

They do turn a hideous faded-yet-dark-brown! I've seen it a lot in books. And sometimes the ink spreads out on the paper making the signature 'blobby'. Finally, the ink often passes entirely through the paper and stains further pages. It can take 10-20 years for this to happen fully. I've wondered if this might turn out to be a very big problem in the future. Who will want to buy a slabbed AF 15 for 6 figures if you know if you were to crack it open there might be ghosts of the signature on the first two or three pages! However there are many times where there isn't a problem with sharpie and felt pen signatures-maybe something having to do with different papers or different chemical compositions for the ink, so who knows. Any Comic I've ever gotten signed I've gotten signed on the first interior page and with a ball point pen. No problems with this method.

there are plenty of markers that do not fade and do not bleed or spread.  the fact that 'artists' are unaware of them when i am and I'm just some bozo is baffling.

On 8/18/2021 at 1:29 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I've always thought that one was useful as a one-image example of why it's impossible to reliably authenticate unwitnessed signatures...

On 8/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, Qalyar said:

I've always thought that one was useful as a one-image example of why it's impossible to reliably authenticate unwitnessed signatures...

Amen to that. It shows perfectly just how the little consistent characteristics you look for will not be as consistent as you assume. Verifying signatures is not fun, and is an outdated mode of identity verification for the modern world. 

On 8/18/2021 at 7:29 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

A few of those signatures are sloppy and borderline illegible.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:17 AM, Ken Aldred said:

A few of those signatures are sloppy and borderline illegible.

Look at the back one or the green one. .. those are horrendous. They almost look nothing like his signature.  Image those scribbled over the face of your favorite character.  :facepalm:

In Stan Lee signature news, this thing is up at CLink. So, sure, there are fewer than 50 copies of this historically important issue on the census in unrestored 9.0 or higher grades. But it's cool to have Stan write a bunch on one of them, right? Especially when he managed to smear ink across the title. At least he didn't sign over Spidey's face, I guess.

At the time I write this, the current bid has now hit $64,000 with over five days to go. Based on that bidding history, evidently, some people are perfectly happy with this book the way it looks now. But I think it's just sad, really...

https://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/2017/00000081690000101436827002.jpg

On 8/18/2021 at 2:46 PM, Qalyar said:

In Stan Lee signature news, this thing is up at CLink. So, sure, there are fewer than 50 copies of this historically important issue on the census in unrestored 9.0 or higher grades. But it's cool to have Stan write a bunch on one of them, right? Especially when he managed to smear ink across the title. At least he didn't sign over Spidey's face, I guess.

At the time I write this, the current bid has now hit $64,000 with over five days to go. Based on that bidding history, evidently, some people are perfectly happy with this book the way it looks now. But I think it's just sad, really...

https://www.comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/2017/00000081690000101436827002.jpg

This makes me want a TMNT #1 first print  signed by Vanilla Ice.. Maybe even have him write something like " Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go" on it. :banana:

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Because Ice Ice Baby..

On 8/18/2021 at 8:17 PM, Buzzetta said:

And @kav this one is my favorite.

ASM009cgc98ssva.jpg

Its still 'scribble on cover-damaged book'

On 8/18/2021 at 11:25 PM, kav said:

Its still 'scribble on cover-damaged book'

That book was MADE for Stan to sign.  so nyeh nyeh

I found some more silver and stuff to list (shameless plug)

Steranko's signature is artwork on it's own but I think we have had that conversation before. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/18/2021 at 8:26 PM, Buzzetta said:

That book was MADE for Stan to sign.  so nyeh nyeh

I found some more silver and stuff to list (shameless plug)

Steranko's signature is artwork on it's own but I think we have had that conversation before. 

you got me that time

On 8/18/2021 at 10:17 PM, Buzzetta said:

Sorry @kav I think there are some books improved by Lee's signature. 

ASM700cgc98ssa.thumb.jpg.75c6318a7b431b25f47060fbee02041a.jpg

I don't hate this one. Sure, yes, over half the 9.8 slabs are yellow labels, so this is... annoying to find in 9.8U, but hardly impossible. And with the list of pretty much all the names in ASM history with a big white background? It's not a "blank cover" variant, but it's clear what was intended here. Plus, Stan actually signed in a sensible place.

I still wouldn't want this because I'm generally a non-signature purist, but this doesn't destroy something historically significant or irreplaceably rare, and the sig placement doesn't deface the book.

This is miles better than that ASM1 or the Star Wars 1 price variant. They're not all bad. But the bad ones are terrible.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:32 PM, Qalyar said:

I don't hate this one. Sure, yes, over half the 9.8 slabs are yellow labels, so this is... annoying to find in 9.8U, but hardly impossible. And with the list of pretty much all the names in ASM history with a big white background? It's not a "blank cover" variant, but it's clear what was intended here. Plus, Stan actually signed in a sensible place.

I still wouldn't want this because I'm generally a non-signature purist, but this doesn't destroy something historically significant or irreplaceably rare, and the sig placement doesn't deface the book.

This is miles better than that ASM1 or the Star Wars 1 price variant. They're not all bad. But the bad ones are terrible.

Now what about Stan in the chair reading comics to kids?