• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCG Human Torch #1 - how bad is bad?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I’m trying to get a sense of how comics are graded. I know the condition of this book is terribly bad, but when referring to the comic grade description, it appears to be better than I thought. A 4.0 grade (“cover […] may be loose, or even detached at one staple”)? … the cover is not actually loose at all, but the binding is about as bad as it could get without being loose.The pages inside look to be in relatively good shape.

What do you think? Any thoughts and insight are appreciated. I’m a complete newbie.

72046573-CD75-406C-98E4-A369268967A0.jpeg

04EA038D-FE4C-437B-9B72-17A6818BD91B.jpeg

56CAB207-1D62-4B5E-812D-E8F639BF1055.jpeg

Edited by Mark Riley

The problem, or at least one of the problems, is that those are not the original staples.  The actual staples would go through the spine of the book and close at the centerfold, not through the entire book and close at the back.  That drops the grade significantly. 

More generally, the low eye appeal and chewed up spine would drop the value of the book, even if the technical grade was higher.  What I personally would do is remove the added staples, realign the cover, and then assess things from there.  But just at a glance, the book is pretty much a dollar bin candidate, so I would be most concerned with maximizing eye appeal as a reader copy for myself.

To give a bit more detail, that comic is far from being a 4.0 (VG). The degree of trashing of the spine, creasing and general wear and tear puts it closer to 2.0 (and maybe not even that). The added staples are probably holding the cover on, and if the cover is detached from the factory staples it's more likely a 1.0 or 1.5

To give you an idea of what a VG looks like, I think this is a 4.0 It has lots of wear along the spine but the cover is secure at both staples.

Piracy_7.thumb.jpg.cf14d89292b89f35c5085056835242ca.jpg

All I’d ask is that the original poster takes time to learn grading before they sell. Or buy. If you looked at that Human Torch ish and though it was anything better than a 1.0 (or worth more than a dollar), then you might be heading for a tough time in the comic world…..

On 8/22/2021 at 11:23 AM, comicginger1789 said:

All I’d ask is that the original poster takes time to learn grading before they sell. Or buy. If you looked at that Human Torch ish and though it was anything better than a 1.0 (or worth more than a dollar), then you might be heading for a tough time in the comic world…..

Yep, that's the reason I posted and asked for input. Thanks for the warning! I did not even realize that the staples in that book are not the original binding! I'm learning.

Edited by Mark Riley

On 8/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mark Riley said:

Yep, that's the reason I posted and asked for input. Thanks for the warning! I did not even realize that the staples in that book are not the original binding! I'm learning.

Good call @Mark Riley!  And many of us are still very much learning on here...so welcome and please keep posting books!  

On 8/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mark Riley said:

I’ve been collecting comics for 20 years. Still learn something new every year it seems :)

On 8/22/2021 at 10:12 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I’ve been collecting comics for 20 years. Still learn something new every year it seems :)

I've been buying comics at near cover price and not throwing them away for over 40yrs, but not yet a collector. 

A problem I am having is that the grades I'm seeing posted don't seem to match the text definitions I'm reading (e.g.  https://comics.gocollect.com/grading-conditions ).

2.0 grade:  1/2" triangle missing from the cover. ... 'Tape and other forms of amateur repair' ... 'May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples [...] missing'. The book I posted doesn't have any large pieces missing, and the interior pages look really good. As I mentioned in my first post,  I read at another site that a 'cover may be loose, but not completely detached' and still get a 4.0 grade.

What I think I’m starting to get a handle on is the accumulated effect of issues, and the importance for the book to look presentable - even if it has serious problems.

Edited by Mark Riley