• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staples inside back cover
1 1

4 posts in this topic

While sorting through my comic book collection i notice that several of my silver age marvel issues (for example Marvel What if Issue #'s 2) are stapled from back page to the front page with 2 staples, and the covers is not stapled but appear to be glued on. Was this normal production at that time or would these be examples of production errors? Does this impact the grading of these books and therefore the market value? 

Thank you,

LJB

IMG_1705.jpeg

IMG_1706.jpeg

IMG_1707.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

IMG_1702.jpeg

IMG_1703.jpeg

IMG_1704.jpeg

On 8/25/2021 at 1:51 AM, SalsaBoy said:

While sorting through my comic book collection i notice that several of my silver age marvel issues (for example Marvel What if Issue #'s 2) are stapled from back page to the front page with 2 staples, and the covers is not stapled but appear to be glued on. Was this normal production at that time or would these be examples of production errors? Does this impact the grading of these books and therefore the market value? 

This has always been a common practice for thicker books that are squarebound.  You will see it on the Fox Giants of the 40s, square bound books of the silver age like early Silver Surfers, and square bound books of the bronze age, like those early What Ifs. This is not an anomaly nor a defect.