• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM New Gods #1
3 3

9 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I've posted and am really stuck on this one. There's a faint vertical crease on the front and rear cover cover. I'm curious if this is possibly a printer crease before the cover was printed (and thus wouldn't affect the grade). Interested to hear what folks think!

NEWGODS1F.thumb.jpg.402e2740d9d4c42c7c2595f8955fea36.jpg

NEWGODS1B.jpg

Edited by ramrodcar

That crease is really tough to decipher - I think I see it on the back (about 2 inches from spine?).  Can't make it out on front.  FC looks really nice but for me all the other flaws on the back are what would pull this one down a bit.  Also tough to be sure without additional pics from side, etc.  All those caveats aside it would be a 6.0 for me.

I don't see the vertical crease that you mentioned. By your description, it sounds like a subscription crease though. There is a printer's crease on the bottom left of the back cover. That crease would not effect the grade in this instance.

The front cover art of this book is one of the few that makes it really tough to grade from a scan as camouflages wear. Seeing this in person and being able to hold it at different angles to a light source would be very helpful. From what I can gather, it looks to be around a 7.0.

Edited by KingOfRulers

On 8/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I don't see the vertical crease that you mentioned. By your description, it sounds like a subscription crease though. There is a printer's crease on the bottom left of the back cover. That crease would not effect the grade in this instance.

The front cover art of this book is one of the few that makes it really tough to grade from a scan as camouflages wear. Seeing this in person and being able to hold it at different angles to a light source would be very helpful. From what I can gather, it looks to be around a 7.0.

@KingOfRulersIs the printer's crease the veiny one directly above the word AURORA?  I'm interested in understanding better how to positively ID a printer's crease, would you mind sharing some knowledge?  Thanks much!!

On 8/29/2021 at 8:13 AM, candygramformongo said:

@KingOfRulersIs the printer's crease the veiny one directly above the word AURORA?  I'm interested in understanding better how to positively ID a printer's crease, would you mind sharing some knowledge?  Thanks much!!

@candygramformongo Yes, that is indeed the printer's crease that I was referring to.

A printer crease is caused by the paper getting a wrinkle in it as it passes through the press units. The press units would smash the wrinkle flat while printing the images onto the paper. There is no ink on the inside of the wrinkle as this area was hidden during the printing process. This is more common with thin, cheap paper that easily moves around and folds. This defect can also be caused after the ink is printed on the paper as it goes through the rollers and the end of the press. If there is ink inside of the crease, it was caused after it was inked. If there is no ink inside of the crease, it was caused before ink hit the page. More often than not, it will be before inked. This is very typical on specific books because the cover paper was cheap or very thin. 

The aforementioned vertical crease looks too off-centered to be a subscription crease. The horizontal one in the back does look like a printer's crease. There is some discoloration in the top edge of the back cover. Moderate general wear.

5.5/6.0

Thanks for sharing.