• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone had CGC damage a signature series book?

8 posts in this topic

I submitted Three jokers back in November 2020 to get autographed by Fabok and Anderson. That book was high grade and no visible damage. I just got notified it’s done and sending it back. Have a grade of 9.2 with grade notes of “crunch right bottom of whole book”  

I guess I’ll have to take photos of the books before I send them in. I feel like with all the handling  needed to get all signatures is was damaged by CGC. 
Of course I’m no grader but with them having this book for almost a year I definitely feel damage was done in their hands.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

On 9/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, Drink2mny said:

I submitted Three jokers back in November 2020 to get autographed by Fabok and Anderson. That book was high grade and no visible damage. I just got notified it’s done and sending it back. Have a grade of 9.2 with grade notes of “crunch right bottom of whole book”  

I guess I’ll have to take photos of the books before I send them in. I feel like with all the handling  needed to get all signatures is was damaged by CGC. 
Of course I’m no grader but with them having this book for almost a year I definitely feel damage was done in their hands.

Especially with CGC SS, its a gamble you take.  It could have been any number of CGC handlers, it could have been the mail, it could have been the signers, could have been the graders.  With the tens of thousands (100's of thousands?) of CGC SS books in existence, no you are not the only person this has happened to.

With that being said, if you have before and after pictures, no harm in making a complaint to CGC.  If a ton of people complain about specific signing or a certain employee is consistently identified as being involved with damaged books, maybe they can identify certain procedures or signers or employees where more damage occurs and take steps to make things better in the future.

Good luck.

Edited by revat

On 9/3/2021 at 5:52 PM, Drink2mny said:

Awesome reply. Thank you. I think from here on out I will be taking photos before they go.

I started taking photos after two incidences of damage (not SS). Both were graded 9.8 so damage was post grade. Luckily one was fixed without further damage, the other, they insist is still a 9.8 despite a small back corner piece torn off.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:50 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say that defects from handling by CGC and/or the signer are somewhat typical, but "crunch" doesn't seem like a typical handling defect.

Completely agree. Crunch typically is from dropping the book and it lands on a corner.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:46 AM, revat said:

Especially with CGC SS, its a gamble you take.  It could have been any number of CGC handlers, it could have been the mail, it could have been the signers, could have been the graders.  With the tens of thousands (100's of thousands?) of CGC SS books in existence, no you are not the only person this has happened to.

With that being said, if you have before and after pictures, no harm in making a complaint to CGC.  If a ton of people complain about specific signing or a certain employee is consistently identified as being involved with damaged books, maybe they can identify certain procedures or signers or employees where more damage occurs and take steps to make things better in the future.

Good luck.

Thankyou for the heads-up. Really appreciate it.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, Drink2mny said:

This is very frequent due to handling. Dud you opt for a press following the signing?