• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larson Bats 1 (1940) on Goldin Auctions
2 2

32 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, sfcityduck said:

My guess: no fees or premiums.  This ilooks like a loss leader auction designed to get the name out.  It is working because Every CGC member is getting emails and we are talking about it.  The book will get its price.

If you read the fine print, there is a 20% buyer fee, where does it say they are waving that fee?

On 9/4/2021 at 12:17 PM, Professor K said:

I use gocollect and they have no listing of this current 8.0 selling for 850,000 in February. I don't know how they could have missed that. 

Yeah, not sure why, but it's also not listed as part of CC's historical acution archives?  ???

I guess because it's was a non-auction formatted sale and appears that some of these types of sales probably does not automatically get posted to their auction archives or to external databases like GPA and GoCollect as a result.  (shrug)

According to the auction terms there is indeed a 20% buyers' fee (23% with credit card) across the board. If that applies here, which it appears to, I don't see it mentioned on any of the auction pages. Amateur hour!  :facepalm: 

https://goldinauctions.com/rules.aspx

That is kind of cheesy not notifying about the 20% in each auction listing (like HA does). Even if the current high bid shown includes the 20%, which I'm not even sure it does. Maybe it does for registered users of which I am not one at this time.

Edited by Professor K

On 9/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, Professor K said:

That is kind of cheesy not notifying about the 20% in each auction listing (like HA does). Even if the current high bid shown includes the 20%, which I'm not even sure it does. 

If you bid in a real auction you need to read the terms.  Not unusual at all for bid amounts to NOT include the buyers premium.  It is normally tacked on st the end.  So I would assume the actual amount to be paid is 20 percent higher than the bid amount (and that the premium will end up with the seller of B1, not  the auction house).

On 9/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, sfcityduck said:

If you bid in a real auction you need to read the terms.  Not unusual at all for bid amounts to NOT include the buyers premium.  It is normally tacked on st the end.  So I would assume the actual amount to be paid is 20 percent higher than the bid amount (and that the premium will end up with the seller of B1, not  the auction house).

Thank you SF yes of course you should always read the terms. I wasn't exactly referring to bid amounts including the buyer premium as Heritage does, but openly stating that there is a buyer premium in each individual auction page like Comic Connect does. CC doesn't do the math for us beforehand but the 15% BP is right in our face. 

I guess because Goldin has a 20% BP no matter what rule they feel they don't need to do this, and they don't I suppose. But maybe when people who weren't aware of the BP when they bid start bailing on paying they might start making it more apparent. 

On 9/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, Professor K said:

Thank you SF yes of course you should always read the terms. I wasn't exactly referring to bid amounts including the buyer premium as Heritage does, but openly stating that there is a buyer premium in each individual auction page like Comic Connect does. CC doesn't do the math for us beforehand but the 15% BP is right in our face. 

I guess because Goldin has a 20% BP no matter what rule they feel they don't need to do this, and they don't I suppose. But maybe when people who weren't aware of the BP when they bid start bailing on paying they might start making it more apparent. 

I bid mostly in fine art auctions and Liveauctioneers.  I find myself having to do the mental math.  When I bid on Heritage, it is a great relief.  Love their interface, many auction houses are not as good.