• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Professor Marston and the Wonder Woman
2 2

23 posts in this topic

I took some time out of my day to watch this. Has anyone else watched it yet? I really enjoyed the origin viewpoint
of Wonder Woman. Now I am not saying its all correct, because if you read what they family has said they argue
several points, but Id like to see more origins of characters like this with being more factual if possible. There is about
30 minutes of the movie I could do without, but thats why its a movie they have to put in some drama.

Edited by fastballspecial

I thought it was good.

A man a bit too liberal to fit in with his time period.

Interesting to see something about the Golden Age comic book studios.

I hadn’t been aware that copies of Sensation Comics and Wonder Woman were burned as an expression of moral outrage.

Edited by Ken Aldred

i'll have to check that out. it's loosely based on or inspired by the book "The Secret History of Wonder Woman," which is a really good bio of Marston and the origin of the character. the two women that he lived with both lived together after he died for their entire lives until one of them finally died herself.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:01 PM, Readcomix said:

@skypinkblu FYI - topic that may be of interest to you. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m guessing you have.

Thanks...:foryou:

I have not seen it, but I did read Jill Lepore's book, the one it was based on and a few others. If it's streaming and some people liked it, I will try and watch:)

Well .....my experience with that movie was :facepalm:Dont watch it with your old folks who grew up in th 50s or 60s with a narrow view of what wonderwoman is what the creator should have been it really blew their bubble up and were angry at the movie the whole time,:facepalm:my parents are comics fan but with golden age character they have a golden age point of view:facepalm:might watch it again but with people my age lol after that movie i pre screen movies before référence it to my parents lol supposed to be the other way arround lol:roflmao:

Edited by Namtak

On 9/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, MAR1979 said:

Enjoyable movie, I really liked it, however its nearly all Hollywood fiction based on actual people.

We are all aware of the widespread  50s comic book burning incited by Wertham and ‘Seduction of the Innocent’, but was there also separate, more specific action carried out against Marston and his Wonder Woman comics earlier in the 40s, or was that just an example of dramatic fabrication in the film?

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, Namtak said:

Well .....my experience with that movie was :facepalm:Dont watch it with your old folks who grew up in th 50s or 60s with a narrow view of what wonderwoman is what the creator should have been it really blew their bubble up and were angry at the movie the whole time,:facepalm:my parents are comics fan but with golden age character they have a golden age point of view:facepalm:might watch it again but with people my age lol after that movie i pre screen movies before référence it to my parents lol supposed to be the other way arround lol:roflmao:

It really destroyed my father way of seeing creators of the day,so never again that type of movie:roflmao:no movie that change the way we perceive the past its the only kind of movie they really hate:facepalm:so i heatd half the movie and half was parents yelling at tv weird hein?

On 9/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, Ken Aldred said:

We are all aware of the widespread  50s comic book burning incited by Wertham and ‘Seduction of the Innocent’, but was there also separate, more specific action carried out against Marston and his Wonder Woman comics earlier in the 40s, or was that just an example of dramatic fabrication in the film?

Good question ,yes ec comics horror and such is well known for being burned but in 40s they might have played with it a bit i think.after all its a drama movie

Edited by Namtak

On 9/5/2021 at 9:42 PM, alexgross.com said:

it's loosely based on or inspired by the book "The Secret History of Wonder Woman," which is a really good bio of Marston and the origin of the character.

Agreed. It's a very well written book.  One of my favorites on my comic book history shelf.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:39 PM, Namtak said:

Marston was unusual even for this day and age.  He was, however, involved in all kinds of historical events besides creating Wonder Woman including Margaret Sanger and the Woman's suffrage movement and creating a machine that was the basis for the lie detector test.

I don't really care about his living with 2 woman, they were all adults, but I thought the family dynamic was a little odd, since he kept so much information from his children. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Huh?

If you were to research the 3 people you will find nearly all the chain of events never occurred anywhere near the manner they were portrayed nor even in the correct chronological order. Including the way the 3 first met. 

Again very entertaining and well done film that merely weaves a story around non-fiction people and events in a wholly fictionalized manner.

I've not read the book perhaps that was more true to the actual history? 

Regardless of fact or fiction still a great movie.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/5/2021 at 7:39 PM, Namtak said:

I guess I’m one of those people you are referring to. Believe me, times were VERY permissive then. None of Marston’s life shocks me. 

The fact that his life slightly spills over into his creation doesn’t surprise or offend me either. 

As a kid, reading the occasional WW comic, I never read anything deep into it. Just another strong superhero who just happed to be a woman. 

It’s kind of a shame that we need to discuss this. Same thing with the insinuations about Batman and Robin. They are just comic book characters aimed at children. 

This trailer really is geared toward the “spicy” side of his life and the WW tie in is a bit of a side note. 

On 9/6/2021 at 4:38 PM, MAR1979 said:

Huh? 

Straw-man argument aside; If you were to research the 3 people you will find nearly all the chain of events never occurred anywhere near the manner they were portrayed nor even in the correct chronological order. Including the way the 3 first met. 

Not really a straw man argument.

Simply questioning the historical accuracy of that part of the film, which you’ve reiterated more generally.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/6/2021 at 11:42 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Not really a straw man argument.

Simply questioning the historical accuracy of that part of the film.

It was not accurate. Simple stuff like the way Marston met Peter was depicted was fiction. They played it very loose with accuracy to make it entertaining (Hollywoodization) but the way the film portrays the history is nowhere close to gospel.

I do agree not truly a straw-man so I've edited the post.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/6/2021 at 4:40 PM, Robot Man said:

It’s kind of a shame that we need to discuss this.

It’s an interesting film to me, but really nothing more.