• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comics 1
3 3

103 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, Crowzilla said:

Why is everyone using the restored 1.8 sale to immediately move Marvel #1 ahead of Batman #1 (possibly, but probably not) and Superman #1 (definitely not)?

Not a single person has mentioned the equally valid coverless sale from last week that was at a price point below the last coverless Bat 1 from earlier this year and not even half the price of the last coverless Superman #1 from a year ago.  Doesn't fit the narrative so no need to mention it?

I was distracted by other things in this thread. The idea that Superman #1 and Batman #1 are eclipsed by Marvel #1 is crazy cray. Marvel #1 is in competition with Captain America Comics #1 as the most valuable Golden Age Timely. The DC books are in another category entirely. 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:39 PM, tth2 said:

Remember the old days when we used to debate which comics could break $1 million? 

Now, it's which comics wouldn't break $1m, or how low grade does a comic have to be for it to go for less than $1m.

I'm rewriting the "Top Ten Most Valuable Comics" article with new values and a new order. When I first wrote it, books in the top ten started at $550,000. There are probably 100 books now that would sell for that much. 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:01 PM, rob_react said:

I'm rewriting the "Top Ten Most Valuable Comics" article with new values and a new order. When I first wrote it, books in the top ten started at $550,000. There are probably 100 books now that would sell for that much. 

There are 36 AF15s in 8.5 or better alone, add to that 30 or so Action 1s and 25 or so Tec27s and you are already almost there. Count a dozen Supey 1s, maybe twice that many Bat 1s, some Cap 1s, Marvel 1s, and other stuff and I think you are looking at easily double your estimate.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:50 PM, Crowzilla said:

There are 36 AF15s in 8.5 or better alone, add to that 30 or so Action 1s and 25 or so Tec27s and you are already almost there. Count a dozen Supey 1s, maybe twice that many Bat 1s, some Cap 1s, Marvel 1s, and other stuff and I think you are looking at easily double your estimate.

You're probably right!

A Batman #1 CGC 8.0 is selling for over $1,000,000 at an auction-house that doesn't do comics. It might match the 1.2 million for the one earlier this year which in turn nearly matched the 1.26 million the highest graded and 2nd best available went for a year and a half ago. 

A Batman 9.4 sold for nearly $1,000,000 more than the Marvel #1.  

I won't even get started on Superman #1. If a high grade copy were to come up for sale it would be crazy. It would be all we would talk about for 6 months. 

TITLE ISSUE# PEDIGREE GRADE DATE VENUE PRICE
Amazing Fantasy 15   9.6 on 2021/09/09 Heritage $3,600,000.00
Action Comics 1   8.5 on 2021/04/06 ComicConnect $3,250,000.00
Action Comics 1   9.0 on 2014/08/24 eBay $3,207,852.00
Batman 1   9.4 on 2021/01/14 Heritage $2,220,000.00
Action Comics 1   9.0 on 2011/11/30 ComicConnect $2,161,000.00
Action Comics 1   8.5 on 2018/06/13 ComicConnect $2,052,000.00
Action Comics 1   8.5 on 2010/03/29 ComicConnect $1,500,000.00
Detective Comics 27   7.0 on 2020/11/19 Heritage $1,500,000.00
Marvel Comics 1   9.4 on 2019/11/21 Heritage $1,260,000.00
Batman 1   8.0 on 2021/04/15 ComicConnect $1,207,500.00

I’d peg the two Superman 1s in 8.0, highest graded so far, at 3-4M. The Church copy would prob get the edge on Pedigree over the other.  But, since no one can say they are for sale any time soon, we can only guess at their values.  With AF 15 now in the mix at 3.6M all the big books could now be a million or more higher .

If the AF 15 could talk, it’d be screaming like young Cassius Clay: “I shook up the World!

Edited by Aman619

Yes way.  If the best you can get is an 8.0 the low grade doesn’t matter that much. We see it all the time. Highest graded is highest graded, unless you’re sure there are better copies out there.  To date, all any of us know Is dentist copy plus maybe Bangzoom.  Dentist may as well not even exist so an 8.0 is a better than decent chance to keep its status. Or not. 

On 9/18/2021 at 12:14 PM, Aman619 said:

Yes way.  If the best you can get is an 8.0 the low grade doesn’t matter that much. We see it all the time. Highest graded is highest graded, unless you’re sure there are better copies out there.  To date, all any of us know Is dentist copy plus maybe Bangzoom.  Dentist may as well not even exist so an 8.0 is a better than decent chance to keep its status. Or not. A

All that, but! I think the Mile High could be pumped up to infinity at this point. Also, the Mile High was 100000000% offered to Dave so there is zero chance he doesn't have a copy he thinks is nicer. 

That said, my comment was about a Promise style, new copy, showing up.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:14 AM, Aman619 said:

Yes way.  If the best you can get is an 8.0 the low grade doesn’t matter that much. We see it all the time. Highest graded is highest graded, unless you’re sure there are better copies out there.  To date, all any of us know Is dentist copy plus maybe Bangzoom.  Dentist may as well not even exist so an 8.0 is a better than decent chance to keep its status. Or not. 

I think you've already become too desensitized to what $3-4m means.  That's still a buttload of money. 

I don't see a 8.0 Action 1 or Tec 27 going for $3-4m, so I don't see a 8.0 Superman 1 going for that much, even if it potentially is the best copy in existence (which I doubt it is).  

The price of the 8.0 Action 1, and the 7.5 for that matter, would likely be largely dependent upon potential buyers' perception of how "locked-up" the higher graded copies are. The 8.5 likely wouldn't have brought $3.25M if buyers believed a 9.0 would be available in the next few years. 

I've followed many debates here over whether Detective 27 or Action 1 is the better book, and one salient point that doesn't come up in those discussions is the fact that the high grade copies of Action 1 have come to market repeatedly over the past 20 years, while the same is not true for Detective 27. Attempting to guess how other people will spend their millions is a bit of a fool's game, but I'd be shocked if an 8.0 Detective 27 came up for auction and fell short of the 8.5 Action 1. It's worth noting also that the Heritage 7.0 Detective 27 got a $2.25M offer this morning.

539224532_Tec277.0offer.thumb.JPG.be741bd8b22c6aa2682d0f0ed3ff3fd0.JPG

On 9/19/2021 at 5:21 AM, tth2 said:

I think you've already become too desensitized to what $3-4m means.  That's still a buttload of money. 

I don't see a 8.0 Action 1 or Tec 27 going for $3-4m, so I don't see a 8.0 Superman 1 going for that much, even if it potentially is the best copy in existence (which I doubt it is).  

Maybe.  I like to see it that none of US are buying comics at these prices.  Therefore it’s new money. And they accept these value ranges.  And — since they are wealthy, they are attracted to the books in this price range. Start at the top with the best… versus build a portfolio of smaller keys. If I were moving into a collecting hobby, say stamps, I’d seek out an inverted Jenny. Or the best movie posters:  Frankenstein, Dracula?   Sure they’d cost millions, but they have a solid track record of maintaining their place at the top of their hobbies and as cultural touchstones.  

On 9/19/2021 at 5:21 AM, tth2 said:

Let me begin with how I still love Superman ... especially Wayne Boring issues, but I think we have also become desensitized to just how little popularity the Superman character enjoys today. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/19/2021 at 6:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

Let me begin with how I still love Superman ... especially Wayne Boring issues, but I think we have also become desensitized to just how little popularity the Superman character enjoys today. GOD BLESS....

Maybe we weren’t watching the same auction. The Actions pretty much all went for record prices! I’d say Superman is doing just fine!

On 9/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, Timely said:

Maybe we weren’t watching the same auction. The Actions pretty much all went for record prices! I’d say Superman is doing just fine!

All that is, is mainstream Promise multiples. The character isn't selling for anyone I know.... not outside keys and such. I confess I just bought an Action 27 :cloud9: But I'm a senior citizen who still loves Superman. I'll be dead sooner than later. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, Crowzilla said:

So are we all in agreement after the Goldin auction that Marvel #1 is not ahead of Superman #1?

Did it end ?

...as for Superman 1, the first 8.0 or better to hit the block is going for "stupid money" ... popularity bedamned. :boo:

I just can't counsel my boy to invest in old Superman comics for his future. GOD BLESS...