• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I really hate it when....
1 1

12 posts in this topic

...I find out I have a perfect key buried in a pile of books worth uber dollars in 9.8, and after closer inspection what I thought was my perfect book with absolutely no ticks on the spine, has a 1/8" tear along the bottom edge.  Sentry #1... purchased at a great price on the forum...before it got hot.  i know we've all got gripes and frustrations...and here's your chance to share your bad experiences.  Care to vent? :frustrated:

Long story short...

Water pipe broke while I was at work. Came home to the kitchen flooded. Went downstairs to shut off the water. It was 'raining' due to the flood upstairs. Boxes of comics were like wet toilet paper. Had been out of comics for many years so had no idea of any values. Saved most ('saved' not being the best word), but threw one box away, due to all the comics were oversized and the box had no top. In the box were 2 copies of TMNT #! I had purchased off the shelf. Later found out what they were worth ... doctors blamed heart attack on cholesterol, but I know better.

I bought a perfect 9.6 Iron Man  #1 for $40 in the 80’s (a lot of money for me back then!).

I then accidentally put a 3” tape pull on the top edge of the front cover.

My collector friend said he could fix it, so he color touched the top edge.

It looked bad, so my other friend said a restorer he knows can trim the top edge off to remove the color touch. So I gave it to him. 

4 months later I got the book back. Apparently he took the book apart to trim it, then cleaned it and reinforced the cover to put it back together.

Much later, I was sickened by the whole situation and traded it for $120.

Last 9.6 sale was $6700.

That was the first and ONLY time I tape pulled a book. Lessen learned!

I got a few stories but nothing so horrific like losing a collection due to flood or fire or children.

1st and only tape pull happened when I was a kid. The ink just lifted off so clean and easy like it was fresh. It didn't tear the paper though.

Kills me to this day whenever I look at this issue. My eye is immediately drawn to it.

827814149_AmazingSpider-Man049.thumb.jpg.db506b78c8126511d34142613250c36e.jpg

Far too many tape pull stories for me to single one out.  A New Gods 1 , Flash 137 and Green Lantern 21(ish) come to mind first, but there were more.

In my first shop, I had a set of EC books taped to the back wall. A leaky roof on a three story building allowed water to get in and it picked the two feet of wall where my ECs were to manifest itself. Came in one morning to notice two books had fallen off the wall. When I picked one up it was full of water. Every book on that section of wall had sever water damage. After months of fighting the landlords insurance company, I think I got a check for about $60, less than a third of my asking prices.

Years ago I was bagging a Giant-Size Invaders #1 in nice condition that might grade out a 9.4/9.6 and I tore the cover completely in half. 
Not near as bad as some of you have experienced.  I haven't torn a cover since then but my  speed on bagging and boarding have slowed way down. 

Edited by musicmeta

On 9/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, MattTheDuck said:

...I drive an hour to an "Estate Sale" which lists "2000 comics!" amongst it's attractions and what they meant was that everything these 80-something's have was published after 2000.

I did the same a month ago for an estate sale which showed Avengers #57 and Star Trek #1 in the piles, got there right as the sale opened on the first day, and those books were nowhere to be found.  Lots of worthless books, nothing of value.  Classic bait and switch.  I made a mental note that the company running the estate sale is one that I'll never visit at any location ever again.  

Maybe they're in your area, too:  https://www.caringtransitions.com/