• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Valuable Comic Book in existence?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

The 4 possibilities I’d offer are:

Dentist’s:

1) Allentown Tec 27

2) Mile High Action 1

...then

3) Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 9.6 

4) Other

...my guess is that’s the order right there.  The Tec 27 is apparently at least a 9.6 if it were graded.  The Action is 9.2ish.  There are 4 AF 15 CGC 9.6s.  I don’t know what would be 4th.  The Mile High Cap 1 if it’s a 9.8 might be a contender, but the formerly Nic Cage copy of Action 1 I’d guess is worth more. My opinion doesn’t matter though.  What do the experts think? 

Edited by eschnit

This is a possibly of another  book, I have seen a AF 15 which is a strong 9.6 or a weak 9.8.....depending on the month submitted for grading, that book in my opinion would be the most valuable comic book in the world, at 5M, it will be sometime before the lifelong collector will part with it, its not mine, I collect GA but this person is keeping no matter what...forever and a lot of his books are ungraded as well as he does own some graded books bought over the years. Otherwise the MH A1 for me.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:42 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Does this lifelong collector have any non-AF 15 sweet Silver Age books in high grade condition he would be willing to part with?  Asking for a friend.

he is a more a GA, mid 50;s collector, he also has a high grade ASM 1 but  not a lot of SA books in general, and no FF1 or Hulk 1 and does not really sell unless he has to get something bigger and better.

Edited by Mmehdy

If you ask me, this AF 15 sale is just a placeholder as highest selling comic.  And the mere fact of the existence of this sale just ratchets up a handful of other comics to new estimated values far above 3.6M. Church AC 1, Allentown Tec 27, the 9.2 Tec 27, even the two 9.0 Action !s and the 8.5 Church Tec 27, plus the dentist Superman 1, and the 9.4 Batman 1, as well as the dentist Bat 1 as well.  All we can do is guess at their values until they sell, but they just look better and better as sales like the AF 15 become a reality.  It will be interesting what the next AF 15 9.6 goes for now.  Watching the video, there seem to be 3 bidders at the end, so there should be 2 to battle it out instead an unopposed underbidder getting the next one cheap. 

Edited by Aman619
fixed fatchets, which is weird cause I just typed fatchets and NOW it wanted to correct it to ratchets!!

On 9/13/2021 at 1:57 AM, Aman619 said:

If you ask me, this AF 15 sale is just a placeholder as highest selling comic.  And the mere fact of the existence of this sale jusr fatchets up a handful of other comics to new estimated values far above 3.6M. Church AC 1, Allentown Tec 27, the 9.2 Tec 27, even the two 9.0 Action !s and the 8.5 Church Tec 27, plus the dentist Superman 1, and the 9.4 Batman 1, as well as the dentist Bat 1 as well.  All we can do is guess at their values until they sell, but they just look better and better as sales like the AF 15 become a reality.

Well stated. Not sure I agree that the 9.4 Bat 1 would beat it right now, but I agree with all the other books on your list. The dentist might very well own the four single most valuable books in the hobby.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:33 AM, rob_react said:

To me:

Church AC 1

Allentown Tec 27

9.2 Tec 27

9.0 Action !

9.0 Action !

8.5 Church Tec 27

Best Superman 1

and...

dentist Bat 1? CGC 9.4 is hard to beat. If it's a substantially better copy, then, yes. 

Where do you think the Church Marvel 1 would fall? I've heard its nearly flawless IIRC.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:33 AM, Crowzilla said:

Well stated. Not sure I agree that the 9.4 Bat 1 would beat it right now, but I agree with all the other books on your list. The dentist might very well own the four single most valuable books in the hobby.

He always has owned the top 4!

Edited by Aman619

On 9/13/2021 at 7:33 AM, rob_react said:

To me:

Church AC 1

Allentown Tec 27

9.2 Tec 27

9.0 Action !

9.0 Action !

8.5 Church Tec 27

Best Superman 1

and...

dentist Bat 1? CGC 9.4 is hard to beat. If it's a substantially better copy, then, yes. 

Church Action 1 all day every day is number one for me as well.  I totally agree with this list

On 9/13/2021 at 7:00 AM, Mutie Fan said:

The sports card market is unreal right now. 

I attended a card auction this weekend , and the reslts were amazing.  A set of football cards I was worried might not make the minimum consignmet price sold for $141, A set of Marvel 1st covers wet for $145 where I was thinking $50 and a fairy rare 1960s card that i was hoping might fly under the radar sold for $3200.

These weren't Millenials bidding up the prices. I'm 62 and I'd say half the bidders were my age or older.  I went with $14,000 in cash and spent under $600.

On 9/13/2021 at 6:33 PM, Crowzilla said:

Plus, who's to say how nice his copy of AF 15 is?