• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's DUNE: PROPHECY executive produced by Denis Villeneuve (2024)

28 posts in this topic

Five years after Max (then HBO Max) ordered a Dune prequel series, the streamer has shared a first-look teaser for the show, titled Dune: Prophecy.

Slated for a fall premiere, the series’ first season consists of six episodes, which is on the low end for an original scripted series. Its teaser was unveiled during the Warner Bros. Discovery upfront presentation Wednesday by Casey Bloys, Chairman and CEO, HBO and Max Content.

From the expansive universe of Dune, created by author Frank Herbert, and set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides, Dune: Prophecy (fka Dune: The Sisterhood) is inspired by the novel Sisterhood Of Dune, written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. It follows two Harkonnen sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect that will become known as the Bene Gesserit.

"10,000 years before the birth of Paul Atreides, before the universe knew them as the Bene Gesserit..."

Let me guess, it takes place in year 191. :jokealert:

I'm not convinced when these shows go so far back into the history of their universe that it actually makes for a compelling story. I think the people that pitch these ideas are so engorged on their own enthusiasm, they might not see it from the audience's perspective. I will cite both House of Dragons and whatever the Lord of the Rings show was, which were both so incredibly weak, I won't waste my time watching a trailer for the next season.

In high school, I was really interested in the Vietnam War; I read books, watched movies etc. But if Oliver Stone followed up 'Platoon' with a story about some villager fighting for his rice paddy in an armored sampan 10,000 years before the United States military showed up, you couldn't pay me to watch it or care.

It may work for Dune, who knows - but I'm likely done watching prequels that pre-date the original content by ten millennia.