• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most convoluted title/run/series you have ever collected?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

How was I supposed to know that 1 came after 48?

Okay, I'll give you that. You wouldn't necessarily know what the final number of the year was, though there were 4 monthly (4x12=48) titles and you could also look at the number on Superman 74 to get a pretty good idea. That's still not very convoluted, especially compared to other features with more than one series.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, Lazyboy said:

Okay, I'll give you that. You wouldn't necessarily know what the final number of the year was, though there were 4 monthly (4x12=48) titles and you could also look at the number on Superman 74 to get a pretty good idea. That's still not very convoluted, especially compared to other features with more than one series.

See, I also didn't realize that they were monthly. I was under the impression that more than 1 title was released/week. So, you're right, that it's not as convoluted as I thought. Still messy for someone who didn't experience it as it happened IMO.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:39 PM, Toz said:

Been trying to finish a few runs and most are pretty straight forward.MOKF,Deadly Hands of Kung Fu,FF 100-400 and a few short runs.

I nominate Teen Titans.Before 1980 there was only the one run.New Teen Titans debuted in 1980 and had a good run.The title changed to Tales of TNTT and then the Baxter series came out in 1984.There was also a couple of Mini series thrown in for good measure. I have picked up some lots from later runs and while they look interesting,I will probably pass and cut off the 1980 & 1984 series where I'm at.

Tales of...,Teen Titans,New Titans. Just way too much for my old brain to try to process.

What's you choice?

I'm a big 80s New Teen Titans fan and agree with all this. The bigger problem though was what Shadroch mentioned with Legion... after awhile, Tales of TNTT was just reprinting NTT Baxter issues so it was basically defunct. Having two titles started out as a possibly good idea... I mean, if there was a market for six zillion X-titles a month, why not two NTT ones?... but two years in, NTT was in the middle of a two-year byzantine storyline I didn't care about and Tales of TNTT was just reprints of stuff I had already so it was dead to me. There was also a 'Teen Titans Spotlight' title (remember that?) but it seemed to suck pretty early on. 

...And from memory I hopped off Tales of TNTT around #60, and NTT Baxter around #32 (and was quite exhausted by then). The rest of the long Baxter run looks pretty dire at a glance, but I'm curious all these years later if there were any gems I missed.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, Point Five said:

I'm a big 80s New Teen Titans fan and agree with all this. The bigger problem though was what Shadroch mentioned with Legion... after awhile, Tales of TNTT was just reprinting NTT Baxter issues so it was basically defunct. Having two titles started out as a possibly good idea... I mean, if there was a market for six zillion X-titles a month, why not two NTT ones?... but two years in, NTT was in the middle of a two-year byzantine storyline I didn't care about and Tales of TNTT was just reprints of stuff I had already so it was dead to me. There was also a 'Teen Titans Spotlight' title (remember that?) but it seemed to suck pretty early on. 

Do you remember what number they started the reprints on? I never read that far into the series the first time around and was planning on doing some binge reading when I completed the runs.

I've got NTT straight through to around # 87 and the Baxter series up to 48.What do I need to dump as I'm not that OCD yet.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, Point Five said:

...And from memory I hopped off Tales of TNTT around #60, and NTT Baxter around #32 (and was quite exhausted by then). The rest of the long Baxter run looks pretty dire at a glance, but I'm curious all these years later if there were any gems I missed.

Don't forget Tales of the Teen Titans and Tales of the New Teen Titans. Tales of the New Teen Titans was a mini that featured solo stories, similar to the Teen Titans Spotlight that followed it, while Tales of the Teen Titans reprinted New Teen Titans.

They should have had a series titles New Tales of the Teen Titans, to confuse everyone further.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, Toz said:

Do you remember what number they started the reprints on? I never read that far into the series the first time around and was planning on doing some binge reading when I completed the runs.

I've got NTT straight through to around # 87 and the Baxter series up to 48.What do I need to dump as I'm not that OCD yet.

I think, similar to Outsiders and Legio, they switched the title when the Baxter runs started, and started reprinting the Baxter book a year later. So the reprints should start 12 issues after the book became Tales of the Teen Titans.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:51 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think, similar to Outsiders and Legio, they switched the title when the Baxter runs started, and started reprinting the Baxter book a year later. So the reprints should start 12 issues after the book became Tales of the Teen Titans.

Hmmm. Have to see if CGD can clear it up so I don't have to dig them out.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Issue 59 starts the reprints. It reprints DC Comics Presents 26, and then issue 60 starts reprinting the Baxter series.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Tales_of_the_Teen_Titans_Vol_1_59

And, they missed the perfect chance to reprint the cover of the preview as an actual cover:

image.png.2f1a975a187a552841b6926766cfc515.png

On 9/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Issue 59 starts the reprints. It reprints DC Comics Presents 26, and then issue 60 starts reprinting the Baxter series.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Tales_of_the_Teen_Titans_Vol_1_59

With the closest thing to an exception being the final issue, 91, which actually has several pages of content added to what was originally published in NTT 31 (although that's mostly just Nightwing giving a recap of the plot, so YMMV).

Meanwhile, don't forget the NTT anti-drug campaign promos! There's three of those, two of which exist as both giveaways and $1.00 cover price books. As far as I know, the "IBM" one only exists as a freebie, but I've always wondered...

On 9/16/2021 at 6:01 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

And, they missed the perfect chance to reprint the cover of the preview as an actual cover:

image.png.2f1a975a187a552841b6926766cfc515.png

I found that.Clears some stuff up with several issues I don't have to get.