• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Xmen 109
3 3

9 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2021 at 1:03 PM, gumption said:

Some of the grime may come off, but the discoloration along the bottom of the back cover looks like foxing to me.

Thanks for the feedback Gumption....

Im still new at this.   What is "foxing"? 

You think its worth restoring to clean this up is the way to go?

Foxing is not the same as staining. "Foxing is an age-related process of deterioration that causes spots and browning on old paper documents such as books, postage stamps, and certificates. The name may derive from the fox-like reddish-brown color of the stains, or the rust chemical ferric oxide which may be involved."

You may get the creases pressed out, but foxing doesn't come out.

If you were to get that graded, foxing is more forgivable in GA books... not so much with Silver or Bronze.

Send pics of the back cover to some pressers and see if it can come out just from drycleaning. Hard to tell from your photo... the stains don't look reddish or blotchy... it could just be schmutz or dirt.

I think with a press, you can clear 9.2. I don't have a lot of graded copies that I could use for reference on the discoloration. But the color on the front is still very bright and clear. If you're going to get it pressed, might as well get it cleaned. 

I had an X-Men #95 that I bought recently as a raw 8.0 with some spine dings and lots of grime. I did a bit of the drycleaning/erasing myself, then sent it to a presser... they managed to get just about all of the dirt out. I haven't gotten it reslabbed yet but I think I could get a 9.0-9.2 after their work on it.

Edited by gumption

Back cover needs cleaning. I'm thinking it's more soiling than foxing which I'm not sure I see.

C&P and it could be in the 9.0-9.2 range.

Thanks for posting.