• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it worth it to get this cleaned and pressed and regraded?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

The risk is maybe getting a 6.5 once it's all done. Go collect currently has a FMV of $160.00 on the 5.5. Goes up $30.00 on a 6.5. Based on that, risky. Like Funnybooks mentioned, many of the defects will still be there after the press. But, the book would look better when cleaned. Maybe wait for a bigger spread between the 2 grades?

On 9/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, oakenfelder said:

Thanks everyone. I'll just keep it as is. I never had a first Mar-Vell before, so this is cool.

I think this is a reasonable question, and the answers provided by the people are correct.

For future reference, here's the process most go through when making this type of decision (albeit for experienced folks its quite instinctual in many cases):

1. Determine the cost of clean/press + regrading (including shipping and insurance), for the purpose of this calculation this is "X"

2.  Use GPA (or ebay sold) pricing service to find out the price differential you would need from the grade you have to the grade that would make it worth it for you.  So maybe in this case like 7.5 or 8.0.  Do you think you can reach that grade with the cleaning/pressing? 

3.   That's the minimum break even.  But then of course you need to factor in your risk (of not getting the cleaning and grading results you want), opportunity cost of tying up your money, AND your preferred PROFIT MARGIN, which are all subjective to you.