• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reserved Investments video - What's your take on it?

3 posts in this topic

Where are stamps? :kidaround:

I think he has a thoughtful approach to his recommendations, but he seems to forget that all the things he considers worthwhile today were only 10 to 20 years old at some point. 

He focuses on longer-term collectibles that have stood the test of time, but he also argues against himself by pointing out that Western characters are long-term and no longer have a big following.  

What should people consider collectible?  Whatever people are collecting. 

I don't see how someone who has no interest in rare 1st edition books, historic firearms, or rare coins should ignore their preference for other collectible items, particularly when so many other people share those same interests.

In my opinion, anything that is at least 10 years old with a strong following is worthy of being an investment during your lifetime.  If you wait until the item is 100 years old, you've already missed the train that your grandfather probably also missed.  It's way too late for the viewers of his videos. 

There are some items being produced right now that will be big later, but generally speaking, it's much easier to pick (and afford) a winner that's already 10 years old than to predict something that can maintain popularity for 10 years just because it has been popular for 1.  Speculators jumping on the 1-year-or-less trains are bound to crash often.

Someone in the world can certainly continue to invest in those undeniably valuable 100+ year old winning items, but it probably won't be anyone I know.

(Unless you're talking about a fractional investment in $1,000,000+ items like rare coins, artworks, etc., but that's a different argument than physically collecting things.)

All that being said, I would recommend his videos over 99% of what passes for "advice" on collectibles on YouTube.

Edited by valiantman

I watched it because I seen your link. He didn't convince me to avoid nostalgia. If I had a kid in 2021 I would teach it the art of the flip so in 15 years they can be a money making master selling nostalgia. Most of his nostalgia is historical. Send Leno Watters out on the street and my guess is most people, especially those on the younger side are going to know who superman batman spiderman are. Annie Oakley Wild Bill? I dunno. I am sick of comic movies but others aren't and even if they do Hollywood doesn't care. They are out of ideas. I doubt there was a outcry for a new Mcguyver or Magnum PI but they have nothing else. These superheroes aren't going anywhere. If they do they will be back. Lol nostalgia haha. Majority of people aren't buying them because of child hood memories. They are buying comics they never had as a kid. Comics that are decades older than them. Talk to dealers. They have huge amount of people new to collecting, never read a comic before. Lots come from the movies. Lot's just in it for the money. Go to a flea market. I been fighting off teens and even tweens for years at 5am to get video games. They certainly don't have any nostalgia for 30 year old games. Many I will see at future markets selling them for ebay prices. Rest probably sell on ebay. Maybe a few actually collect them. Go to an estate sale. I don't see many nostalgic collectors. I see a bunch of people on their IPhone looking up ebay prices. Book sales it's nothing but people scanning bar codes for Amazon. I don't see comics going anywhere. I don't see people becoming smarter. The guy made a weak argument. Anyone that compares comics or video games or whatever to beanie babies doesn't have a clue.