• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book(s) on comics should a newbie read?

25 posts in this topic

I'm looking for some reading material to go along with my recent rediscovering of comic collecting.

Maybe something on the history, art form, a book of a general nature. As well, perhaps a biography of one of the greats would be interesting.

What book would board members suggest? What have you read that has stayed with you?

Thanks

Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics-Marvel. Written by Les Daniels it has Spider-Man on the cover and has 700 color illustrations and some great insight into the various era's. If you like Marvel its an absolute must. I am glad I purchased it. Also, try some of the GA Masterworks editions that have come out. Don't waste your time with these essential books because they are in black and white and after getting a migrane from reading a few pages you want to throw it in the fire place.

Maybe something on the history, art form, a book of a general nature. As well, perhaps a biography of one of the greats would be interesting.

Some books that may be of interest:

Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics.

Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross

Comic Wars by Dan Raviv

Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

"Man of Two Worlds: My Life in Science Fiction and Comics" by Julius Schwartz

"The Great Comic Book Heroes" by Jules Feiffer

The Les Daniels books on Marvel and DC

The Jack Kirby Collector (any issue) available from Two Morrows Publishing

Mark Evanier's web site http://www.newsfromme.com

Mark Evanier's collection of columns "POV" that were published in the Comic Buyers Guide and collected in three TPBs. I always like his stories about comics and the entertainment industrly. You can buy them from his web site.

Oh, and there are a million other books worth reading. These are just some of my favorites.

Right now what kind of comic books interest you? Are there any you think may interest you in the future? Do you have any general genres (horror, superhero, sci-fi, crime, romance etc) that appeal to you? Any time periods you are interested in? There are highly specialized and very general books - lots of them. So give us a bit more of your tastes and interests!

If the Marvel Masterworks count as books on comics, they are inexpensive and show a lot about how the comics got to where they are today. The Overstreet book is a book of lists but it can't be missed. And Understanding Comics might be good for the right person.

Something else to consider is the Marvel reprinting of their Silver Age books IN the silver age. Books like Collectors Items Classic can be had quite inexpensively and these are genuine 60's books reprinting many of them more memoprable (and more expensive) tales of Spidey, Doc Strange, Hulk, FF, Thor etc. These can often be had for a few dollars in still decent shape and you actually have real SA Marvel Superhero books.