• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going to Chicago

18 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

I've got an upcoming Metal Construction trade show in Chicago (for work). It's at McCormick South of the downtown. I'm interested in checking out some of the LCS's in the area. Can anyone recommend some good stores for back issue marvels, DC's and/or Golden Age books? I'm familar with Windy City/Orbitron in Niles but other than that I could use some help.

hi.gif

...Chicago Comics on clark st was always my favorite when i lived there,... thumbsup2.gif

893censored-thumb.gif it. I am going tomorrow. I always find something there. cloud9.gif

Bastardo!!!! 893whatthe.gif You no tell me mad.gif. I shall have your head for dinner sumo.gifgrin.gif

...Chicago Comics on clark st was always my favorite when i lived there,... thumbsup2.gif

893censored-thumb.gif it. I am going tomorrow. I always find something there. cloud9.gif

Bastardo!!!! 893whatthe.gif You no tell me mad.gif. I shall have your head for dinner sumo.gifgrin.gif

cloud9.gif Oh yes, first thing in the morning at the crack of noon! I will tell you if I find anything good. poke2.gif

$110 for the L&R 1!!! 893whatthe.gif

Well, I would definitely check out Chicago Comics. I just spent part of the afternoon there and picked up some nice stuff. They are ready and willing to haggle, as I ended up getting a Batman 222 and 234 for 30% off the sticker price. I was checking out the books behind the counter and the guy right next to me pulled a Batman 15 out of the box he was looking at! It looked like a solid 9.0! Unfortunately, it had a tear seal on the back. He took it anyway. If you want to see what I picked up, I posted the issues in the "this week in your collection" thread.

Variety Comics? My buddy lives in Lincoln Square, and we keep planning to go, but I haven't been yet. Is it a good store?

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name.

It's one of nicer LCS's I've been in (very clean and tidy). They always had plenty copies of most of the modern books that came in, and from all genres. I know they had a section completely devoted to back issues, but since I was mainly interested in the new stuff back then, I didn't pay much attention.

Variety Comics? My buddy lives in Lincoln Square, and we keep planning to go, but I haven't been yet. Is it a good store?

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name.

It's one of nicer LCS's I've been in (very clean and tidy). They always had plenty copies of most of the modern books that came in, and from all genres. I know they had a section completely devoted to back issues, but since I was mainly interested in the new stuff back then, I didn't pay much attention.

Nice. I think there is another store within a mile, so it will be worth the trip sometime soon. I will let you know how it works out.

Octy,

I hope you left me a few good ones.

Did you see any other Golden Age Bat's or Detectives?

I'm also looking to buy some good girl books. Something about those covers that makes me want to......................................................nevermind devil.gif

Octy,

I hope you left me a few good ones.

Did you see any other Golden Age Bat's or Detectives?

I'm also looking to buy some good girl books. Something about those covers that makes me want to......................................................nevermind devil.gif

There were some late golden Tecs and Batmans. The guy who bought the 15 passed on 3 or 4 others. If you are going there soon, ask to see the books behind the corner and the new collection of DCs they got in. It was one longbox worth, mostly Batman, Superman, Tecs, and issues of World's Finest. Good luck and don't be afraid to haggle. Talk to the Hispanic guy who works there (can't remember his name). He is super nice and always willing to deal.