• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged Books Returned

6 posts in this topic

I sent in 4 books through my LCS to be graded in March. Fast forward to mid-July and the 4 graded books came back with new damage, bottom left corner.  LCS owner contacts CGC and they "admit" fault and they are willing to clean and press the damaged books and even send a shipping label. Not really happy, but OK we'll see how it goes. Fast forward another 3 weeks and the books are returned to my LCS with nothing done to them?? He was told that the person he spoke with no longer works for CGC. LCS owner makes arrangements to get them cleaned, pressed, and re-graded again. As of last week the books are “scheduled for grading”. My questions are:

1. If I call in to CGC with the cert numbers, can I get they status of these 4 books?

2. Will they get a new cert number once they are re-graded?

Thank you.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced.  Since you are not the submitter in this case, it will really depend on how the dealer sent these books in.  If they listed your name and address and the return shipping information then you can inquire about the status of the order if you have the submission or order number.  However, if they have the order going back to them and you are not listed anywhere on the paperwork then we cannot provide any information to you and they would have to contact us directly for any updates.  

Books will retain the same certification number when they are just reholdered but if they are regraded then usually there is a new certification number. Since this book was most likely entered as a mechanical error, however, it may retain the same information since it won't be entered the same in our system as a regular regrade would be.  We'd have to see the actual order to be sure, however. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

On 9/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Ban Roy, Problem Solved said:

Nope. If things were flipped, you wouldn't want CGC giving your personal information out to a complete stranger, would you?

Not really sure that I’m asking for personal info, but I just want to know where my books are in the process since my LCS acts like he doesn’t want to be bothered. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, Ban Roy, Problem Solved said:

Nope. If things were flipped, you wouldn't want CGC giving your personal information out to a complete stranger, would you?

"...if you have the submission or order number" was her quote. I could pull a thousand cert numbers off any auction site and claim they were mine.

And once you did that??? Come on man…