• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk about renaming “X-Men” because it’s “Offensive”

64 posts in this topic

Just saw something on YouTube (the only social media I use) and saw something about how there might be a rename to “x-men”. Apparently some Twitter users  are offended because it says “men” and it’s sexist. 
I’m new to these forums and not sure if this type of topic is allowed, I know a lot of sites don’t like controversial topics, but that’s how to share opinions and learn. 
Anyway, if this doesn’t get took down (fingers crossed), keep it civil. 

your guys’ thoughts?! Sorry, your people’s thoughts?! ;) 

Edited by Clay Johnson
Spelling.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:25 PM, D84 said:

Unfortunately, the mods will consider this political and more than likely pull the thread.

Is there anything I can reword or change so it can be up? I’m curious what the comic community thinks. But if they think it’s an absolute no go, then “it is what it is”. Thanks for the quick reply. :)

On 9/23/2021 at 9:29 PM, Clay Johnson said:

Is there anything I can reword or change so it can be up? I’m curious what the comic community thinks. But if they think it’s an absolute no go, then “it is what it is”. Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I don't know if you can.

You can't mention the pandemic, politics, etc.

Welcome to the boards, anyways.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:35 PM, D84 said:

I don't know if you can.

I should do an epic comic movie quote. Here goes... 

“We live in a society...”

ahh the good ol days. No censorship 

Edited by Clay Johnson

On 9/24/2021 at 8:11 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This was discussed in the MCU X-Men thread.

:whatthe: :baiting:

The OP is new, so didn't realize how we as a community try to consolidate the themes or else we would have individual threads on what new thing was posted recently on an actor or director tied to a production.

You can totally discuss the "X-Men" name topic here and you can also discuss sexism in comics. What you can't do is accuse members here of being sexist. Speaking from experience here. You also totally can't discuss polit**** stuff here including naming high profile public figures. Sexism in comics isn't a politi** thing, however, and it can be discussed.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/24/2021 at 8:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

:whatthe: :baiting:

The OP is new, so didn't realize how we as a community try to consolidate the themes or else we would have individual threads on what new thing was posted recently on an actor or director tied to a production.

We should have a ZSJL thread for each part. :insane:

I believe the "X-Men" name thing became a topic because Victoria Alonso, an executive producer at Marvel Studios and now a president there, said she thought the name was outdated, which could be telling for a future MCU X-Men project.

I think Marvel Studios skirts the issue for the foreseeable future by simply not making an X-Men movie for a long long time. I think we'll see mutants soon, even some we know and love like Logan, Emma Frost, or Charles Xavier(yes, I think we'll see the founders first and Emma Frost is going to be a founder I think), but it'll be a while before an actual movie with "X" in it comes along.

I think Marvel Studios is saving the era of mutants for the next generation of MCU fans.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 9/24/2021 at 8:28 AM, Readcomix said:

Did she offer alternatives? Are they bandying anything about?

No. An interviewer asked her about the future of the X-Men in the MCU and she said she wasn't sure and then added the comment about the name at the end of her answer. It could also be telling that Kevin Feige at the last onstage Comic Con appearance said "the mutants" and not X-Men.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

No. An interviewer asked her about the future of the X-Men in the MCU and she said she wasn't sure and then added the comment about the name at the end of her answer. It could also be telling that Kevin Feige at the last onstage Comic Con appearance said "the mutants" and not X-Men.

Interesting. Stan wrote extensively in Son of Origins on how he originally intended to title the series The Mutants, but Martin Goodman nixed the name. Lee had clearly been playing with the idea for a while; in Tales of Suspense #6 there's a story titled "The Mutants" (Lee and Sinnott) about a couple guys with mental powers. Of course, the X-Men is a well-established brand by now. Will be interesting to see how Disney ultimately nets out on this.

On 9/23/2021 at 10:35 PM, D84 said:

I don't know if you can.

So I can’t say that Trump and Biden are the two worst back to back leaders my country has ever seen?  I’m of course referring to my last two corporate sales managers, who coincidentally have the same last names as certain political figures.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:40 AM, Readcomix said:

Interesting. Stan wrote extensively in Son of Origins on how he originally intended to title the series The Mutants, but Martin Goodman nixed the name. Lee had clearly been playing with the idea for a while; in Tales of Suspense #6 there's a story titled "The Mutants" (Lee and Sinnott) about a couple guys with mental powers. Of course, the X-Men is a well-established brand by now. Will be interesting to see how Disney ultimately nets out on this.

Here is what is considered the problem with this thinking The X-Men (X mankind) is outdated and to vindicate Stan Lee's 1963 thoughts let's change the name.

For 58 years Marvel wisely marketed, branded and extensively succeeded with the X-Men Universe and its characters. This includes merchandising, animated TV shows and movies. To say the term 'X-Men' is outdated is an ignorance of the intent of this universe where women and men teamed up and fought side-by-side for the sake of not only mutantkind but also mankind.

So to go back on all that with the excuse, "This is what Stan Lee would have wanted" when once it was established he thoroughly supported the title and characters is sad. In his own words - "The X-Men...I love them!"

Even he moved on from 'The Mutants' and went with it. A shame others get fixated on this.

On 9/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

Here is what is considered the problem with this thinking The X-Men (X mankind) is outdated and to vindicate Stan Lee's 1963 thoughts let's change the name.

For 58 years Marvel wisely marketed, branded and extensively succeeded with the X-Men Universe and its characters. This includes merchandising, animated TV shows and movies. To say the term 'X-Men' is outdated is an ignorance of the intent of this universe where women and men teamed up and fought side-by-side for the sake of not only mutantkind but also mankind.

So to go back on all that with the excuse, "This is what Stan Lee would have wanted" when once it was established he thoroughly supported the title and characters is sad. In his own words - "The X-Men...I love them!"

Even he moved on from 'The Mutants' and went with it. A shame others get fixated on this.

Absolutely nailed it.