• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel filed five lawsuits on Friday to block Ditko's & Lee's brothers (and others) from reclaiming copyrights
3 3

48 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2021 at 7:23 PM, shadroch said:

Did Ditko get his art back?

His 80s work I’m sure he did because by then it was routine but his pre 80s work I’m not sure about because he would have had to sign a release to get it… and I don’t know if ditko would have signed it (or cared enough about it to get it back)

On 9/28/2021 at 4:33 PM, jaybuck43 said:

His 80s work I’m sure he did because by then it was routine but his pre 80s work I’m not sure about because he would have had to sign a release to get it… and I don’t know if ditko would have signed it (or cared enough about it to get it back)

I'm wondering about the supposed stacks of Spiderman pages mentioned in the story. 

On 9/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I thought there was something about Ditko disputed Marvel's rights as implied in the release, he wouldn't sign because he did not agree with the underlying assumptions/implications of the release. "I'm not going to make an agreement with Marvel because I dispute their rights to even make the agreement" or some such. He seems like he was resigned to being work for hire and left when he thought he wasn't getting story credit but I am not aware of him ever going to court over any of it. Again, time to read my Blake Bell's Ditko stuff again maybe!

In any event the Doc art is scarce out there. There are pages in the wild but I think it is scarcer than Spidey art. Not sure about the older stuff, I assume scarce as well. (at least when he died it all was, I know things are supposedly showing up, out of my range so I don't worry about that info)

I am only going on my memory on all this, and Jay showed some of my earlier post was disinformation! (Accurate overall though I think even though the page in question was off.)

On 9/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, shadroch said:

I'm wondering about the supposed stacks of Spiderman pages mentioned in the story. 

I mean I think it may be true. When Irene did her inventory most of the ASMs he did were there. 18, 20, 22, 23,29, and 32 were all missing. But other than that they all appeared to be mostly intact (AF15 was already gone). Very few of those pages from those early books have come up at auction so it’s very possible the ditko family still has them.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:58 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I mean I think it may be true. When Irene did her inventory most of the ASMs he did were there. 18, 20, 22, 23,29, and 32 were all missing. But other than that they all appeared to be mostly intact (AF15 was already gone). Very few of those pages from those early books have come up at auction so it’s very possible the ditko family still has them.

Or he cut them up!

On 9/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, rexinnih said:

Ooh, hopefully intact and not part of a long ago trashed collage. Would love to hear a story one day of AF 15 original art found. 

The entire book is in the Library of Congress. The only thing missing is the cover.  https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0805/spiderman.html 

On 9/24/2021 at 7:52 PM, waaaghboss said:

While I'd love to see the creator (or heirs) get some better financial compensation for works they've created that have generated so much in profit, copyrights in general have transformed beyond what they were meant to be in the first place.  

The fact that say, superman or micky mouse aren't public domain almost a century after their creation is just iabsurd 

I struggle with what is fair in these kind of ownership rights cases.

If I sold my creation to a company under a willful agreement I feel my heirs are entitled to nothing

Same for if I worked for a company and they paid me to create something for the company.  Work for hire to me means the company wins and I would easily vote against all individuals in most cases.

Now for Bill Finger thats where I agree something needed to be done because he was screwed over, and same for Superman creators.

I know its more nuance than a simple contact sale, but generally if I sell you something for x amount I cant come back years later and demand to have my property back (or require more money).

If thats the case then I should call C-Link and ask for more money since my TMNT #1 CGC 9.8 I sold back in 2013 for 17k its now worth 250k. lol 

This is a clear money grab that they are hoping Disney just floats some of these people money to settle and move on to the next lawsuit they will have yo deal with.

Now where I agree Disney is wrong is with SJH for Black Widow.  Disney clearly breached that contract and she is owed more money for a judge or arbitrator to settle with both parties on. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder