• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Rising - Pierce Brown

9 posts in this topic

I stumbled upon a Graphic Novel - Sons Of Ares by Pierce Brown, based on his books.

I grabbed all 5 from the library - the Red Rising trilogy , Iron Gold and Dark Age - and they are bloody great.

Very much Game Of Thrones meets Star Wars.

Anyone else read them?  The last one - The LightBringer is out early next year.

Brown attends Comic-Cons, and has written some Star Wars Comics (I think) - so this is comic related!

Highly recommended series.

So - anymore good book series anyone can recommend?

I read the first three Red Rising books and enjoyed them.  I haven't gotten around to continuing the series, though.  I didn't really enjoy the comic series based on it, though.

I read through the entire Expanse series last year and loved it.  I've also been watching the tv show.  Boom recently published an Expanse mini-series and have collected it in a trade.  It was pretty good, though I'd suggest reading the books or watching the tv series first.

I also recommend Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.  The books are police procedurals with supernatural/magic aspects and are very good.  Titan has been publishing new stories that fill in some of the gaps in time.  I think they are just finishing up their 9th graphic novel.  The books are better, but the graphic novels are pretty good.  If you read the books, I recommend the audiobooks which are read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:02 AM, kaculler said:

I read the first three Red Rising books and enjoyed them.  I haven't gotten around to continuing the series, though.  I didn't really enjoy the comic series based on it, though.

I read through the entire Expanse series last year and loved it.  I've also been watching the tv show.  Boom recently published an Expanse mini-series and have collected it in a trade.  It was pretty good, though I'd suggest reading the books or watching the tv series first.

I also recommend Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.  The books are police procedurals with supernatural/magic aspects and are very good.  Titan has been publishing new stories that fill in some of the gaps in time.  I think they are just finishing up their 9th graphic novel.  The books are better, but the graphic novels are pretty good.  If you read the books, I recommend the audiobooks which are read by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith.

I read the expanse - so much better than the TV show.

If people liked the Show - well the books are so,so,so much better.

I can't see how they can finish the TV show in one season with all they have left (and after missing 75% of the books out of the show!)

The only TV improvement was Drummer - although she had absolutely nothing in common with the Drummer in the book!

Same with Game Of Thrones - the books were much better, and so different from the show...still waiting on Winds Of Winter.

I'm on the Jack Reacher books now - no need to engage brain, just a simple read, but fun.

I'll give Rivers Of London a search at my local library. Thanks! :foryou:

On 9/29/2021 at 12:37 PM, Juno Beach said:

Loved the series. Looking forward to the next book. 

I've always thought it would make an amazing TV series 

Absolutely - has the potential to be anything.

If somebody threw serious coin at a series of movies - it could be a massive hit.

I could totally dig a 6 season series as well - who to cast as Darrow (would have to be different actors - one for the Helldiver, one for the Gold) and Sevro though?

They need to get those 2 spot on.

I've read the first four books so far, and have the fifth book queued up to read...I absolutely loved the first three books, and the fourth one really grew on me as I read it.

Putting this as a spoiler, even though I don't think it is...

Spoiler

The ending of the second book was a massive gut punch, and made me want to read the third book ASAP.

I totally agree that it would make a great TV or movie series.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:25 PM, Beige said:

I read the expanse - so much better than the TV show.

If people liked the Show - well the books are so,so,so much better.

I can't see how they can finish the TV show in one season with all they have left (and after missing 75% of the books out of the show!)

The sixth season is only going to be an adaptation of book 6, not books 6-9.  The authors have left the door open to come back some day to adapt the last three books if they can find a home for the series.

I agree that the books are better, but it is still a good tv show.

There is a dreadful movie on Netflix - 'Cosmic Sin' - on which mech clad soldiers fly through space onto the planet in an "Iron Rain"

I'm assuming Mr Brown might be consulting his lawyers about this!