• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on - BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 coming in January
2 2

28 posts in this topic

DeMatteis was a very good Spider-Man writer.  The Clone storyline polarises opinion, as does Ben Reilly as a character.

Still, everything seems to be going through the roof these days. Something else out of reach soon.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/10/2021 at 5:42 PM, grendelbo said:

Ben Reilly was one of the things that drove me out of the hobby in the 90s. I'm glad I no longer collect new releases.

Some here have enjoyed reading The Clone Saga in omnibus format. I read it as it was originally published, issue by issue, and eventually found it meandering and tedious. As I said, a bit polarising.

there are so many different spider mans each one worse than the last.
Marvel wants to squeeze out every last penny from that character.

On 10/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Same with Venom and Carnage, all done to death. Now it’s Spider-Gwynn :tonofbricks:

Marvel gets a hit character they kill it everytime.
"Waiter this steak is overdone"

On 10/10/2021 at 4:55 PM, Ken Aldred said:

DeMatteis was a very good Spider-Man writer.  The Clone storyline polarises opinion, as does Ben Reilly as a character.

Still, everything seems to be going through the roof these days. Something else out of reach soon.

DeMatteis is the only reason I'll give this one a chance. I admit I enjoyed the original clone saga storyline for the most part, it has more than enough flaws but his issues were always the strongest.

I recently read the Clone Saga omnibus, it was uneven, but there was good stuff. One of those good things, IMHO, was Ben Reilly. He was very likable and was worthy to wear the Spidey costume. I don't  read many moderns, so I may never know how this works out, but I'm glad Reilly actually survived the Clone Saga.

Edited by Larryw7

I'm okay with this but to me this is the same direction they took with the whole superior Spider-man/Doc Ock story line. 2-3 years of Ben Riley until some revelation that Peter needs to re-assume the mantle. :blahblah: As long as the stories are well written, I'll read and enjoy it. For what it's worth, I thought the clone saga was decent. It's what brought me back into the hobby back in the mid 90's. 

On 10/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, universal soldier said:

. 2-3 years of Ben Riley until some revelation that Peter needs to re-assume the mantle

Stan Lee’s mantra - not change, just the illusion of change. Cycle after cycle.

Edited by Ken Aldred