• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading

5 posts in this topic

Hey there, I’ve finally received my spawn universe #1 gold foil signed comic today and was wondering if it was worth sending in to be graded? Someone said it wasn’t worth the cost of shipping and fees because it’s not rare enough. Just wanted to get some thoughts! Thanks! 

image.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 1:31 PM, Sean Clancy said:

Hey there, I’ve finally received my spawn universe #1 gold foil signed comic today and was wondering if it was worth sending in to be graded? Someone said it wasn’t worth the cost of shipping and fees because it’s not rare enough. Just wanted to get some thoughts! Thanks! 

image.jpg

In general, when asking strangers for help it may be easier to provide the research you've already done to make it easier for people to help you.

But in general here are my considerations.

Things like:  where will you be shipping from?  What is your grade estimate?  What is the estimated price raw? OR what is your total price for submission - shipping to and from, insurance to and from, submission costs, etc.

And there are other more subjective things - what is your preferred profit margin? can you afford to tie up your money for 4-6 months? what is your own personal tolerance for risk with respect to damage in transit or grading?

But for this comic, probably not worth it.  You have an unwitnessed (by CGC) signature, so it won't be eligible for CGC SS Yellow label.  Of course you can still submit it and get a green qualified label, but raising the value of it by like net $10-20 if the grade is high won't be worth the $40-50 (or more) in submission costs and waiting.  YOU MIGHT consider another comic grading company which AUTHENTICATES signatures (which CGC doesn't do).  But if you're looking to sell it's probably not worth it unless you're 100% you're getting a 9.8 with ANOTHER COMPANY (even then, everyone has different profit margin preferences).

Edited by revat

What revat said. Probably can find some comps. If not what does that book sell for raw and what do similar raw books signed by Todd sell for? Then decide if its worth it. By worth it do you mean financial gain or for person gain? Not witness or coa (which isn't what it used to be) eliminates a large portion of buyers. 

This book is selling at auction on eBay for $60.00 - $100.00 Raw, most listings are BIN with ridiculous prices, most of the sold BIN books say..."Best Offer Accepted".

There was one graded/signed 9.8 book from another company that sold for $251.00 in auction.

If I understand correctly you paid $200.00 for the book and signature from the McFarlane Toy's Webstore?