• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ways of collecting?
2 2

33 posts in this topic

I struggle with how I should display my collection. I have a spinner rack which is great for displaying raw books. The same company that built my rack sells one designed for slabs. I would buy one but I have no room for it. I believe the company is called “spinner rack”. Hope this helps.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:10 AM, thehumantorch said:

I'm similar.  I buy anything that catches my eye from any era or genre.

Recently purchased a TTA 27, high grade copies of FF35 and 41, Spider-man 13, 4 50s war books, Batmania 9 - fanzine from 1966, Suspense Comics 7 and 9, and a First Romance 17 9.6 file copy.

Awesome books. Love the Suspense 7 and 9.. I've never owned a TTA27 but I want to! 

I use to try to be really focused on one goal at a time, but honestly my interest are very broad and I don't want to pass on opportunities that come along. So I have general items I'm interested in and usually a few big goals in mind, but generally try to stay flexible enough to capture good opportunities when they are there. 

So, done for awhile I hope 'cuz over the last 2 days I purchased Nova 1 CGC 9.8, Ms.Marvel 1 CGC 9.8, Black Panther 1 CGC 9.8, and Black Lightning 1 CBCS 9.8 plus 1-10 of those series at 7.0 or better raw.  Decent collections I think with 4 Keys.I'll be long dead before this guess is tested, but my guess is they will all appreciate considerably, but Black Panther will appreciate the most with likely a 10:1 return over 40 years.

Edited by Joe Peck

I started off wanting to get complete runs of Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man, primarily because it was a goal I had attempted 40 years ago, and went about as far as a kid with very limited income could. I was able to get issues #100 and up for each title, and some of the pre-100 issues, but hit a wall there.  When I started back collecting in 2011, I actually had money to realistically pursue my goals. For the first 3 years, I concentrated mainly on those two titles, but I also was buying runs and particular issues of other titles I remembered. It took me a little over 3 years to finish my 2 primary titles, about 6 months apart. I was happy to have done it and felt a sense of accomplishment, but also a sort of emptiness since I hadn't planned beyond that. So I kind of went crazy. I started working on other titles I had accumulated issues of like X-Men and FF, along with the satellite Avengers and Spider-Man titles. That expanded to Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Daredevil, and tons of Marvel titles 10-200 issues long. Eventually, I started on the Superman and Batman titles, Flash, Justice League, etc. Most of the stuff on my want list now is DC Silver Age and older. I've accepted that I'll probably never complete the Golden Age portions of those titles, but I do buy what I can. I still need FF 1 & 52, Journey Into Mystery 84 & 85, Hulk 1-6, TOS 39, and AF 15. I might not ever get those either, but you never know what each new day brings. I've thought about selling everything and building a detached garage / pool house and a couple of cars to work on. I've always wanted a 10th Anniversary Silver Trans Am to restore and a place to do it.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, Pat Thomas said:

I started off wanting to get complete runs of Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man, primarily because it was a goal I had attempted 40 years ago, and went about as far as a kid with very limited income could. I was able to get issues #100 and up for each title, and some of the pre-100 issues, but hit a wall there.  When I started back collecting in 2011, I actually had money to realistically pursue my goals. For the first 3 years, I concentrated mainly on those two titles, but I also was buying runs and particular issues of other titles I remembered. It took me a little over 3 years to finish my 2 primary titles, about 6 months apart. I was happy to have done it and felt a sense of accomplishment, but also a sort of emptiness since I hadn't planned beyond that. So I kind of went crazy. I started working on other titles I had accumulated issues of like X-Men and FF, along with the satellite Avengers and Spider-Man titles. That expanded to Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Daredevil, and tons of Marvel titles 10-200 issues long. Eventually, I started on the Superman and Batman titles, Flash, Justice League, etc. Most of the stuff on my want list now is DC Silver Age and older. I've accepted that I'll probably never complete the Golden Age portions of those titles, but I do buy what I can. I still need FF 1 & 52, Journey Into Mystery 84 & 85, Hulk 1-6, TOS 39, and AF 15. I might not ever get those either, but you never know what each new day brings. I've thought about selling everything and building a detached garage / pool house and a couple of cars to work on. I've always wanted a 10th Anniversary Silver Trans Am to restore and a place to do it.

Wow!  That is awesome.  Do you have a room with a display of some of the collection?  Do you ever read the actual books?  Do you send any in to be graded and slabbed?  Love to hear more of the story!!

On 10/19/2021 at 8:31 AM, Joe Peck said:

Wow!  That is awesome.  Do you have a room with a display of some of the collection?  Do you ever read the actual books?  Do you send any in to be graded and slabbed?  Love to hear more of the story!!

Just in case you missed it, here's the comic room thread.  One of my favorites.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, thehumantorch said:

Just in case you missed it, here's the comic room thread.  One of my favorites.

Thanks for the link.  Already asked the boss if I could use the basement and she gave me the big "NO", BUT . . . she said yes to using my "fish room" aka our living room with the 240 gallon fish tank in it.  I'm worried about the humidity levels near the tank so I'll need to check those before deciding on anything.  Thanks again for the link.  I'm sure it will provide a host of ideas!

WholeTankinRoom.jpg

On 10/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, Joe Peck said:

I actually prefer raw comics, but there have been some deals that were too good to pass on already slabbed, and I just left them as is. I might have 30 totals slabs, and I actually have 4 submitted now (some ASM that I think are exceptional copies). Depending on how they turn out, I might send in some more. The prices of high grade keys almost necessitate having them professionally graded, especially Silver Age and older. If I decide to cash out, I estimate I'll have 500 or more to slab. I've got some decisions to make soon. I'm not getting any younger.

To answer your other questions; I used to read every comic I bought, and sometimes ran out of reading material between purchases. Then my life got turned upside down when I went through a divorce and moved out of the house I owned originally into an apartment. Between the stress of starting over with only my dog, my car, clothes, and comics, and dealing with my ex, it got where I could no longer concentrate enough to immerse myself in the stories. When I could relax enough to read, I would doze off after a few pages. I figured it would pass, but it hasn't really. It's become more about acquiring since and keeping them straight.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures of my setup and post them in the other thread if it isn't too complicated.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:12 PM, Joe Peck said:

So, if you haven't seen my few posts let me state quickly that I'm new to this hobby, but only because I just pulled out my box of 200 comics after 40+ years.  My question now is HOW or What do people collect?  I'm thinking I will pick a half dozen Bronze Age series and focus on collecting CGC 9.8's for the 1-5.  I'm looking at Nova, Omega, Return of the New Gods, and Ms. Marvel.  Mostly because I already have some of each category and that was the age when I started collecting. So what do others focus on?  How do you display your collections? What's the best way to display?  I know . . . I know . . . I have much yet to learn, but I am very open to any ideas!

I started today by buying a Nova 1 CGC 9.8 and now I'm looking for 2 and 3.  I already own 4 and 5 and think they are 9.0+.

I think next I want to go for Ms. Marvel.  What say you?

Nova.1.ebay.jpg

While I have books from all sorts of eras, the ones I mainly collect these days are golden age Fawcett books of the Marvel Family. Some are graded, but most are not since it isn't really worth it even though they are rarer than 99% of books out there. I keep them in short boxes.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, Joe Peck said:

Thanks for the link.  Already asked the boss if I could use the basement and she gave me the big "NO", BUT . . . she said yes to using my "fish room" aka our living room with the 240 gallon fish tank in it.  I'm worried about the humidity levels near the tank so I'll need to check those before deciding on anything.  Thanks again for the link.  I'm sure it will provide a host of ideas!

WholeTankinRoom.jpg

Who sits in that tiny chair on the right?