• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What grade do you guys think this would be with a press/regrade?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I got my Werewolf by Night 32 graded by the other guys and I made the mistake of not getting it pressed first. I was hoping to get a 6.0, but it came back as a 5.0. Before I send it to CGC for a press/regrade, I would really appreciate hearing what you guys think. Do you think it has a chance of moving up to a 6.0 (or a 5.5)? Would CGC grade it any differently than the other guys? I have posted pictures, the grader's notes, and my personal observations. Please let me know what you would do if you were me. Thanks!

It was graded 5.0 with White pages

Grader's Notes:
- Spine stresses and creases break color
- "11-" in logo in pen
- "Small edge and corner creases right front cover breaks color
- Many bends front and back cover

Personal Observations:
- It has a reader's crease that breaks color on the trash can lid and little above it, but not elsewhere
- It has a lot of finger bends on the back cover
- There is an approximately 2.5 inch bend at the top-left of the back cover that also affects many of the interior pages (none of these are color breaking)

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

It's got a lot wrong a press won't solve. Still a CGC 5 is more desirable to most than CBCS 6 so more than worth it for that alone.

BTW I did want CBCS to succeed, as consumers benefit from true competition,  however I've seen only a small handful of book in their slabs which I feel are indicative of the grade they assigned.  IMHO they should have been too strict to the point it slowed down business the first few years then they would have boomed once word got around they were equal to CGC in grading or better.  They decided to go the Oprah route "Here's 9.8 for you, a 9.8 for you, and everyone gets a 9.8". Hopefully one day a new service will come along and use CBCS as a template for what not to do.

Edited by MAR1979

I don't expect this will come back higher than a 5.5 because of the lower front cover spine, the pen marks, and the UR FC. But I'd press it anyway, because half-points are a big deal financially here and because I do think it'll help the presentation quite a bit. Besides, you're upgrading the slab out of Brand X anyway, and the costs of pressing are trivial compared to the book's value. I don't see any realistic chance of ending up below the current grade, so it's all net positives (and that's even from the standpoint of someone who is not the world's biggest fan of "press everything!").

Edited by Qalyar