• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible causes for this damage?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I've attached scans. I can't see how this happened. If this was transported in an non-pressurized cabin at high altitude, is this possible?

I don't see anything broken on the inner well past what is seen in the scans. The outer shell looks completely intact. No damage whatsoever. No cracks, no separations... Nothing of note on the outer shell. Photos before sale show no damage.

The inner well opening is not large enough to replace the book--as far as I can tell... The book has damage on the top, left on the spine right below the inner well crack line. This was not in the original photos before the sale.

I got a good deal on the graded book even if it's not a 9.8 any longer... I'm going to try to make a claim to see what I can get but not at the seller's expense if this happened somehow in transit.

img20211022_21102130_SimpleCrop.thumb.jpg.da242932c78731df02520b83f5a21455.jpgimg20211022_21064181_SimpleCrop.thumb.jpg.98156f40bb950d490af910e13d248ad2.jpg

• Administrator

Good morning,

It is difficult to tell from a picture what damage you are referring to.  I see a line but it is difficult to tell what that is.  If you were not the original submitter you would need to go back to the seller on that.  Any damage to the book or holder must be reported to CGC within 2 weeks of receiving the book back from us so chances are that if there is damage it occurred after the book was received back from CGC. 

Thank you,

I understand those things and that's not really what I'm concerned about.

My question is whether the inner well is affected by ambient air pressure. If this slab was transported in a non-pressurized cargo hold at higher altitudes, is it possible for the inner well to explode? The outer case is completely sound with no visible damage.779780405_img20211022_21064181Cropped2.thumb.jpg.c07393ce8b9ad85b98b20feb00d651c0.jpg

• Administrator

Hello,

We have never encountered such an issue so it seems unlikely but I could not say for certain if something like that was possible.  The holders are not air tight so a certain amount of air does still get inside.  

We do advise that customers maintain a consistent temperature around 70-73 degrees with about a 50% humidity to maintain optimum conditions for their holdered books.

Thank you!