• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Non superhero/hero books GA books, funny, crime, patriotic, etc

41 posts in this topic

Looks like the Mayor cut a deal. grin.gif

Well that mayor for sure is a pushover - a few months later he let the cat police 893whatthe.gif yes the police corps of Terrytown(?) is staffed by cats only and the citizens are all mice ... that is until the cats start to replace all mice by mechanical devices and throw the real mice in their own private food locker, hoping no-one notices until MM comes and takes care of business.

Cover to Terry-Toon 47

967512-TerryToons47s.jpg

MM Page

967512-TerryToons47Story1Pages.jpg

and here's the neat Inside Front Cover with the crew, read the funny animal bullpen heading by Martin Goodman and Stan Lee and the usual list of (suspect) creators -

967512-TerryToons47ICs.jpg

967512-TerryToons47ICs.jpg.8c761a22501215de59901a277f909be0.jpg

You know something about that Mayor of TerryTown. Some one ought to run against him. See him in this page from the MM story in Terry Toons # 55. Here he is handing the keys to the town to a Mr. Kat Knap, big shot Hollywood director who decided to shoot his new movie "Massacre" in a town full of mice 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

968694-TerryToons55Story1Page1s.jpg

Of course, MM feels obligated to intervene and is laughed off by both cats and mice ...

968694-TerryToons55Story1Page2s.jpg

Here's the cover, notice the infinity cover but also the ULC the Marvel Group logo on this April 1947 issue. The publisher is listed as Timely Comics in the indicia -

968694-TerryToons55.jpg

968694-TerryToons55Story1Page2s.jpg.d879ac460e8b84bafb549c43dbe82513.jpg

Here's the cover, notice the infinity cover but also the ULC the Marvel Group logo on this April 1947 issue. The publisher is listed as Timely Comics in the indicia -

You could go crazy trying to keep up with all those changes. For instance, the Hedy #47 I'm sending you has Atlas on the cover but the publisher is Red Circle Magazines. For our website search purposes, I realized early on that I was just going to have to call it Marvel Comics for everything. Same with Harley's site. We can't have something like Kid Colt show up with 2-3 different publishers.

Marc

Well, we can't always blame the mayor for everything. Take issue # 57 for example -

969909-TerryToons57s.jpg

Obviously from the splash page (all MM stories in the Terry-Toons have one panel splash pages) the mayor has nothing to do with MM's woes -

969909-TerryToons57Story1s.jpg

Eventually, MM is thrown back in time to take care of business -

969909-TerryToons57Story1Pages.jpg

969909-TerryToons57Story1Pages.jpg.da55c4e64215916d4a3834217d941239.jpg

Scrooge,

Glad to see you enjoying those MM readers. I like all the commentary about 'em.

Ed

Thanks Ed. Yeah, I am trying to read one from the stack every day or every other day. I am currently reading the Terry-Toons comic once they switched to St John and I am thoroughly missing the Timely Bullpenners for sure ... and yet, since these each feature a Heckle and Jeckle story with some really zanny stuff, they are still a good read. I'll try to scan some to show all the difference.

Scrooge

Here's one of the only GA books I own. It's a POS, but I could not pass it up:

underworld-small.jpg

Chrisco

I have the first 3 Underworld True Crime issues (all in lower grade) and they all have extremely violent stories -(#3 has the infamous meat cleaver in the kid's head panel) - does #4 continue the tradition?

Yeah, it's pretty brutal from what I recall. I'm pretty sure a few gansters take a bullet shower in one of the stories. I bought this one a few years back and haven't looked at it in awhile. The pages are really brittle and the cover is close to falling off. I just look at the cover nowadays.

I think it cost me $15. Well worth it as the cover is priceless. I love that no one in the crowd is concerned about the girl getting slapped. The lady in the lower right seems to think she deserved it! 893whatthe.gif

Scrooge,

Glad to see you enjoying those MM readers. I like all the commentary about 'em.

Ed

Thanks Ed. Yeah, I am trying to read one from the stack every day or every other day. I am currently reading the Terry-Toons comic once they switched to St John and I am thoroughly missing the Timely Bullpenners for sure ... and yet, since these each feature a Heckle and Jeckle story with some really zanny stuff, they are still a good read. I'll try to scan some to show all the difference.

Scrooge

Killer artwork on some of those MM pages -- one of the coolest things I've seen on the board in quite a while. I will have to keep my out as it looks like even ones with prosaic covers have jewels inside.

(P.S.: Glad you liked the MM pages - any guess as to whom the artist was on that Timely MM run?)

No, I don't. The quality is high, both from a basic artistic standpoint and in terms of story-telling ability. I'm suspecting they got an animator involved which was the case with so much of the funny animal work from the 40s and 50s.