• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN: Crow 1
3 3

15 posts in this topic

Front cover is really nice.  Back cover has some rubbing near the spine.

The cover paper used for this comic is really thin (I think they were cutting corners to keep the cost down?). My thought from holding this in hand is that it would be really tough to find one of these in super high grade.

FullSizeRender-63.jpeg

FullSizeRender-65.jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

On 11/2/2021 at 2:16 PM, Galen130 said:

The staples look recessed.  Is there wear near them?

The staples are holding really well.  Like I said above.... the paper quality of the cover is very thin for a cover.... that may have contributed to the staples being slightly recessed.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:06 PM, gadzukes said:

The staples are holding really well.  Like I said above.... the paper quality of the cover is very thin for a cover.... that may have contributed to the staples being slightly recessed.

Yeah, I kinda figured.  But is there wear on the spine at the staple edges?  It looks like it...just want to make sure there are no tears there.  Thanks for humoring an old man!!! :preach:

On 11/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, Galen130 said:

Yeah, I kinda figured.  But is there wear on the spine at the staple edges?  It looks like it...just want to make sure there are no tears there.  Thanks for humoring an old man!!! :preach:

I don't have it in front of me (I just sent it in for slabbing), but I didn't see any tears at the staples.

I want this to get an 8.0, but I think because of the number of color rubs on the back, it'll get marked down another step for a large-area defect... so 7.5. Happy to be proven wrong there, though!

Regardless, beautiful copy from the front, so it'll present well ahead of its technical grade. As you surmised, high grade copies of this don't grow on trees; the black cover and the bargain-basement thin paper conspire to make a mess out of a lot of books.

On 3/23/2022 at 10:44 PM, gadzukes said:

I am SO please to announce that this one is coming back as an 8.5.  Very happy 

I'm surprised CGC didn't treat that back cover color rub more harshly but I'm also pleased because my Caliber Presents 1 has the same moderate flaw. I'll go back into my collection and grade it a little higher.

Congratulations.

On 4/8/2022 at 11:53 PM, Februus said:

Congrats! I wasn’t around and missed all the fun but it’s good you had it graded.. have to wash your hands or wear gloves to handle that baby. 

YES!  I've never seen a cover want to show fingerprints more than that one.  Horrible paper quality too.  I'm lucky this was able to get an 8.5