• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold #39
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Book has great color. My scanner really washes it out.

Top edge F.C. has a light crease/line about the red Brave and Bold banner. Lower right edge F.C. has a vertical crease. Small chip out of the lower corner also. Spine is nice and tight staples. Bottom edge back cover has a light stain just under the rifle stock. Book lays nice and flat.

brave and the bold 39 fc 001 (2).jpg

brave and the bold 39 bc 001 (2).jpg

brave and the bold cf.jpg

brave and the bold fp.jpg

Edited by DR.X

On 11/5/2021 at 2:30 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

(I always make up my mind before I see other folks' grade estimates.) 

Same, I'm thinking a 6.5 though. Staples seem a little dark and some minor staining around them?

First and foremost, the book is extremely nice for a book that is hard to find above FN.  There aren't many copies of this book in high grade out there and it's a very early Suicide Squad.  

The paper is very fresh looking for a book that came out the same year as FF1 and before AF15.  The cover inks look strong and all of the creasing is light and limited to the outer edges.  The staples are a question mark.  I'm assuming no rust or serious discoloration?

I'm going to buck the trend and say I could see this book getting VF 8.0 if there are no major unseen issues and if the inks are bright and the gloss is good.  It's more VF-ish than FN-ish and I could see you getting the bump for a DC from an era that is starved for high grade copies.  

I've looked this book over very carefully. There is no rust on the staples anywhere. When I look at the centerfold, it kind of looks like the staples left some dark marks on the paper but its really the indentation shadow of the staples. No rust though.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:40 PM, FFB said:

I'm going to buck the trend and say I could see this book getting VF 8.0 if there are no major unseen issues and if the inks are bright and the gloss is good.  It's more VF-ish than FN-ish and I could see you getting the bump for a DC from an era that is starved for high grade copies.  

+1  I was paging down to write the same thing. At least 8.0 and the paper is of CVA exceptional quality. Further, structure, spine, color; this might be the single nicest RAW BB39 that I recall seeing! The longtime storage environment for this couldn't have been better. What a beautiful book! Should be submitted. I can easily see 8.0, maybe even a bit more if like FFB said, no issues we can't see. Thanks to the OP for showing it. Awesome to see. 

On 11/7/2021 at 6:48 AM, DR.X said:

I've looked this book over very carefully. There is no rust on the staples anywhere. When I look at the centerfold, it kind of looks like the staples left some dark marks on the paper but its really the indentation shadow of the staples. No rust though.

Man, that is a nice book and definitely something you don't see every day in that kind of shape.  As an early Brave and the Bold collector and a Suicide Squad fan from before the movie, I salute you!  :cloud9:

Edited by FFB