• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, Poekaymon said:

I didn't realize this was a debate.  The grading company that is providing you with this forum (as well as CBCS, for that matter) does not consider pressing to be restoration.  It is therefore not restoration.  Case closed.  You (and Oakman) are free to have your own interpretations, of course, but your interpretations are not industry standard and likely never will be.

Right but you have to go into the history of how CGC changed their mind on this.  They may have, but others havent.

A lot of logical fallacies being tossed around in this thread.  The dust one is a whole new level of absurdity.

The fact is every one out there prefers books that haven't been pressed.  Even people that press books (probably especially them).  So there really should be a difference in valuation.  But then that would break the game and we can't have that, can we?  

So let's get back to making 9.8s!  :banana:

I actually am not anti pressing.  I think its ok.  joey does it and he's smart.  I would get a book pressed if it was high value-why not?

On 11/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, Namtak said:

That was a smart move from @Joe Peck to test the water like that,he got info and who is who ,smart move^^

Thanks :)  The biggest lesson here is that all threads eventually turn into debates on pressing :D  Pretty simple as the discussion has become moot regardless of ones opinion (of which I have none - just ask my wife)

Edited by Joe Peck

On 11/5/2021 at 8:12 PM, kav said:

I think it might be fair to say if CGC could detect pressing, it would then be considered restoration.

Nope.  CGC needed pressing to fix books being damaged by their holder from the outset.   If post-slabbing damage couldn’t be repaired without triggering a PLOD, CGC would have been in trouble. 

On 11/5/2021 at 7:15 PM, kav said:

And yes I would much rather have an unpressed 9.0 than a pressed 9.0 for sure.

But the real question would be would you take a unpressed 9.0 than a pressed 9.4-9.8? 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:13 PM, Randall Dowling said:

A lot of logical fallacies being tossed around in this thread.  The dust one is a whole new level of absurdity.

The fact is every one out there prefers books that haven't been pressed.  Even people that press books (probably especially them).  So there really should be a difference in valuation.  But then that would break the game and we can't have that, can we?  

So let's get back to making 9.8s!  :banana:

I am so against pressing I found out that I had a Showcase 22 cgc 4.5 with white pages mind you( very rarely do they give white page notation on a Showcase 22 ) and I sold it, got rid of it. Yes, I did inform the buyer that it was pressed. Sold it for nearly nothing , I was so heartbroken. 

On 11/5/2021 at 7:21 PM, Joe Peck said:

Thanks :)  The biggest lesson here is that all threads eventually turn into debates on pressing :D  Pretty simple as the discussion has become moot regardless of ones opinion (of which I have none - just ask my wife)

Wait until you have 3K posts. You will understand everything what we have gone through in last 10 years.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, JollyComics said:

Wait until you have 3K posts. You will understand everything what we have gone through in last 10 years.

yep he'll be like this

Screenshot 2021-11-05 6.05.58 PM.png