• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, Shawn Everidge said:

The process you describe can occur naturally, yet the comic will not be graded differently or considered restoration if said process is to the benefit of the comic's appearance.

Let's say I purchase a copy of FF #251, just for an example. It has a few slight non-color-breaking bends. I take this book, during the humid summers in Omaha, and place it under ten Marvel Omnibuses until winter. More than likely, the book will have the bends lessened, to a degree.

Is that book pressed? If so, is it restored? I say no to both questions.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:41 PM, oakman29 said:

I am so against pressing I found out that I had a Showcase 22 cgc 4.5 with white pages mind you( very rarely do they give white page notation on a Showcase 22 ) and I sold it, got rid of it. Yes, I did inform the buyer that it was pressed. Sold it for nearly nothing , I was so heartbroken. 

Isn't that like cutting your nose off to spite your face?

On 11/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, Randall Dowling said:

A lot of logical fallacies being tossed around in this thread.  The dust one is a whole new level of absurdity.

The fact is every one out there prefers books that haven't been pressed.  Even people that press books (probably especially them).  So there really should be a difference in valuation.  But then that would break the game and we can't have that, can we?  

So let's get back to making 9.8s!  :banana:

Um, what? I prefer my books pressed.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, universal soldier said:

My 2cents here. You come across as very combative, with a my way or the highway vision of your opinions. You don't seem receptive to differing opinions and unwilling to learn from others here who have incredible amounts of knowledge about the hobby. I learn new things here every day and consider myself a better collector for it.  I've had my battles with a few on here over the years, that will happen.  We've had minimal interactions so far and I have nothing against you yet :) Take it for it's worth or don't...

I’m fine with other opinions. When people tell me what MY opinion should be, I get combative. I don’t consider pressing restoration…yet people persist in arguing with me even when I make it clear my mind is made up.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, Shawn Everidge said:

Um, what? I prefer my books pressed.

Good for you.

I think this is the problem with how most people approach pressing.  Not every book benefits from being pressed.  The dollars are so big that I get trying to turn a 9.4 into a 9.8.  But over the last 10 years especially, every book in every grade is deemed "press-worthy".  I can't tell you how many non-key, silver age and bronze age VGs I've seen that will never increase in grade from a press and everyone is recommending it get smashed.  As if the book hasn't been through enough already.

There are cases where a book has a weird set of non-color breaking wrinkles or a large bend down the full length of the book that will benefit greatly from being pressed.  But those are the exceptions these days not the rule.  Now, every chump with a stack of books is imagining his retirement will be funded if he only gets all of his books pressed.  It's amateur hour in the speculating world.  The mere fact that anyone thinks that they want all their books pressed expresses a profound lack of understanding about both the process and the market as a whole.

There are many, many collectors looking for books that haven't been worked on.  And they'll pay more for those copies.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:50 PM, Joe Peck said:

Still have no idea who the longest and oldest posters are.  But, really have to move on regarding pressing.  What's done is done.  C'est vrai?  N'est ce pas?

For longest time as a registered member (Not CGC staff) it may be @Bronty.

No idea who the oldest posters are.

Bronty.png

On 11/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, Math Teacher said:

CGC can't identify pressing, but you can. I see.

Well if I bought a book off the stands and its a 9.0 then yep.  And i'd rather have that than a book that came back from a presser at 9.0.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:44 AM, steveinthecity said:

For longest time as a registered member (Not CGC staff) it may be @Bronty.

No idea who the oldest posters are.

Bronty.png

Arch did confirm I was the first person on the comic part of the boards.    I used to have a snazzy custom title saying I was early to the party ;) before the boards migrated and that sort of stuff was lost.   Not sure on oldest