• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's Gen:LOCK starring Michael B. Jordan (2021)

7 posts in this topic

I started watching S1 but just couldn't get into it. It's a show that's right up my alley but the animation just didn't do it for me. The VA work was great, but the animation just struck me as cheap and dated. 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:02 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I started watching S1 but just couldn't get into it. It's a show that's right up my alley but the animation just didn't do it for me. The VA work was great, but the animation just struck me as cheap and dated. 

Oh it definitely is not advanced animation. I kept thinking Ben10 or shows like that.

But the story comes together cleanly for me.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:03 AM, Bosco685 said:

Oh it definitely is not advanced animation. I kept thinking Ben10 or shows like that.

But the story comes together cleanly for me.

Yeah, it was the animation that stopped me from getting into the story, which seemed liked it was going to be decent enough, with a couple of potentially fresh ideas for the Mecha genre. I tried, but just couldn't do it. 

I have the season on bluray, and only paid about $12 for it, so it's no big loss, but I'd like to try again, see if I can get past what bugged me first time round about the janky animation, and see if I can just settle into the groove of it and just enjoy myself. 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:09 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Yeah, it was the animation that stopped me from getting into the story, which seemed liked it was going to be decent enough, with a couple of potentially fresh ideas for the Mecha genre. I tried, but just couldn't do it. 

I have the season on bluray, and only paid about $12 for it, so it's no big loss, but I'd like to try again, see if I can get past what bugged me first time round about the janky animation, and see if I can just settle into the groove of it and just enjoy myself. 

I think the intent is to make you feel like you are in virtual reality but with it giving enough of a reveal you aren't due to the graphics.

Give it another go if you get the chance. I finished Season One and had a good time with it.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think the intent is to make you feel like you are in virtual reality but with it giving enough of a reveal you aren't due to the graphics.

Give it another go if you get the chance. I finished Season One and had a good time with it.

Yeah, I'll give it another chance. You like Mortal Kombat, so you obviously know quality. ^^

Gen:LOCK Season goes hardcore this go around. I pity the parents that may see an animated show and turn it on for their kids and walk away.

Cursing. Characters giving each other the finger. Sex scenes. Yeah - that will be an experience for mom and dad afterwards.

:canofworms: