• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BRAVE AND THE BOLD #41
3 3

16 posts in this topic

Has a stress line running parallel to the spine about a 1/4" in starting at the bottom running up about 2"  1/4" tear F.C about the word brave. Staples are a bit loose. Top spine looks weird and has some paper loss but no split in the paper. B.C. has a printers crease starting on the bottom edge and curving upward and over to the word Name in the coupon.

Book has real nice color and eye appeal. Staples are clean and centerfold  well attached.

brave and the bold 40 fc 001 (3).jpg

brave and the bold 41 b.c 001 (2).jpg

brave and the bold 41 1.jpg

brave and the bold 41 2 (2).jpg

brave and the bold 41 3.jpg

I'd give it a little more than 6.0 just based on it's eye appeal. All of these B&Bs the OP has posted images of are stunning books from the standpoint of paper quality and color. Just focus on the green, blue, and pink. The entire color spectrum of this, and his other B&B front and back covers have truly not aged a day since they were struck. 

Edited by James J Johnson

On 11/8/2021 at 7:27 PM, FFB said:

6.5 to 7.0, possibly white pages.  Another very nice early DC silver age book!  

Ordinarily, I would say, yes; a shoe in for white pages. But look at how brilliantly white that inside cover is! That, in and of itself, may actually prevent it from scoring white pages, CGC opting for off white to white because of there still being a decided margin of contrast between the whiteness of the pages vs. the whiteness of the inside cover! Look only at the pages = white. Takes the stark white of the inside cover into consideration in comparison to the pages = possibly off white to white! It all depends upon if the graders make an isolated judgement on page color or do take what I suggested into consideration. I do. Sometimes that sways my decision by a tik on page color. The contrast between the pages and the inside covers, food for thought. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:05 PM, James J Johnson said:

Ordinarily, I would say, yes; a shoe in for white pages. But look at how brilliantly white that inside cover is! That, in and of itself, may actually prevent it from scoring white pages, CGC opting for off white to white because of there still being a decided margin of contrast between the whiteness of the pages vs. the whiteness of the inside cover! Look only at the pages = white. Takes the stark white of the inside cover into consideration in comparison to the pages = possibly off white to white! It all depends upon if the graders make an isolated judgement on page color or do take what I suggested into consideration. I do. Sometimes that sways my decision by a tik on page color. The contrast between the pages and the inside covers, food for thought. 

I did say "possibly" white because they look very slightly aged, but remember, the interior pages aren't as white as the cover stock to begin with.  Without seeing the book in person it's hard to say, but the pages definitely look like they could get a White designation.  

Question for OP Dr. X: how long have you had these and do you know where and how they were stored before you got them?  They are really beautiful, unusually so for books from this era.  

On 11/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, FFB said:

Question for OP Dr. X: how long have you had these and do you know where and how they were stored before you got them?  They are really beautiful, unusually so for books from this era.  

Thanks guys for all the comments. Wow, funny you should ask. When I use to go to Wizard Chicago religiously, I kept a list at home of purchases, dates, prices,  and dealers. I use to do a con report each year also, but I've lost a lot of the spark for collecting the last few years, for a few reasons. Anyway. the #39 I bought at Wizard Chicago in 2011. Bought off Dale Roberts. He always lets me hang around his booth, and look at books. I could not pass this one up. Perfect no, but like you said the paper quality and condition was pretty darn nice.

The other ones I"m just not sure. I've been collecting for over 40 years. It might come to me later and if I remember I'll post it. I have a few more I have to dig out and might post in the grading forum just for kicks. I have some nice Showcase issues too I might throw in.

Edited by DR.X

On 11/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, DR.X said:

Thanks guys for all the comments. Wow, funny you should ask. When I use to go to Wizard Chicago religiously, I kept a list at home of purchases, dates, prices,  and dealers. I use to do a con report each year also, but I've lost a lot of the spark for collecting the last few years, for a few reasons. Anyway. the #39 I bought at Wizard Chicago in 2011. Bought off Dale Roberts. He always lets me hang around his booth, and look at books. I could not pass this one up. Perfect no, but like you said the paper quality and condition was pretty darn nice.

The other ones I"m just not sure. I've been collecting for over 40 years. It might come to me later and if I remember I'll post it. I have a few more I have to dig out and might post in the grading forum just for kicks. I have some nice Showcase issues too I might throw in.

Please do!  I can't get enough of those early B&Bs and Showcases.  :cloud9:

On 11/10/2021 at 4:23 PM, DR.X said:

LOL. Hey I found another one. I'll have it up in about 15 minutes. Thanks. I've got some nice showcases also I have to find.

More? What the...   :whatthe:   

OK. At this point it's becoming obvious that this is just as much about sorcery, time travel, or both, as it is about comics!! hm

Edited by James J Johnson