• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was the First Comic You Sold?
6 6

67 posts in this topic

I don't remember which I sold first.

X-Men #1  - #66, #94 - #300 or Brave and the Bold #25 - #200.

In both cases, we were going through some financial problems, so my family took precedence over my collection. Although I wish I still had both sets, selling was the right decision, and I would do it again if the same situation arose later in life.

I don't know if it was the first but it is one of the earliest sales I remember.

I collected PPTSS and was starting into Amazing Spider-Man. I had accumulated a handful of duplicates from buying lots online (I was too young for ebay but my dad had an account and let me buy stuff from time to time). This was also when the US economy took a hit and the Canadian dollar was at par.

Anyways, I had a box of about 75-100 duplicates and just other mid grade books I was looking to sell. In town, there was a superhero themed ice cream shop. Cool place, and the guy sold some comics. He was looking for Spidey because his stuff was mostly 80s DC and independent. So I went in thinking "hey, I can get some money here and help him out"

Well, I went in hoping for maybe $1.50-2 per comic...annnnddd the offer I got was $40 plus a free ice cream. I took it. I know there weren't any keys in the boxn (for the time anyway haha but maybe by today's standard, I sold a couple $15-25 books) but they were decent shape and all from late 70s, early 80s. Probably some stuff that at the time I did not collect but now would have kept. But hey, the comics hopefully ended up in the hands of more kids (he charged $1-3 each for them and he also had an ice cream and comic combo you could order for kids....and adults I suppose lol)

The place closed a few years later, which was sad because it was cool....called Scooperman because of course it was. The tables were inlayed with comic strip art underneath the glass and he had framed pictures and characters hung around the shop. Was a great little place. 

Edited by comicginger1789

unfortunately

I had acquired most of the Dark Phoenix run, brought it to my "first" small convention where Claremont was signing. Had him sign about 6-7 out of the run, among others.

I paid for a witness, but it turned out to be the competition rather than CGC. I wasn't familiar with their pricing, so I passed. The total for like 10 books to have graded was something like $400 and I didn't want to blow all my money the 1st day of the con.

I was just getting back in!

So the short of it is, I sold those raw signed Claremont Dark Phoenix run back to the LCS that Christmas (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, ThothAmon said:

In 1994 I saw an ad in CBG looking to buy high grade IH 181’s.  I sold a flawless copy for $225. 

At the time, $225 was a lot of $ for it...

On 11/9/2021 at 9:36 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I don't know if it was the first but it is one of the earliest sales I remember.

I collected PPTSS and was starting into Amazing Spider-Man. I had accumulated a handful of duplicates from buying lots online (I was too young for ebay but my dad had an account and let me buy stuff from time to time). This was also when the US economy took a hit and the Canadian dollar was at par.

Anyways, I had a box of about 75-100 duplicates and just other mid grade books I was looking to sell. In town, there was a superhero themed ice cream shop. Cool place, and the guy sold some comics. He was looking for Spidey because his stuff was mostly 80s DC and independent. So I went in thinking "hey, I can get some money here and help him out"

Well, I went in hoping for maybe $1.50-2 per comic...annnnddd the offer I got was $40 plus a free ice cream. I took it. I know there weren't any keys in the boxn (for the time anyway haha but maybe by today's standard, I sold a couple $15-25 books) but they were decent shape and all from late 70s, early 80s. Probably some stuff that at the time I did not collect but now would have kept. But hey, the comics hopefully ended up in the hands of more kids (he charged $1-3 each for them and he also had an ice cream and comic combo you could order for kids....and adults I suppose lol)

The place closed a few years later, which was sad because it was cool....called Scooperman because of course it was. The tables were inlayed with comic strip art underneath the glass and he had framed pictures and characters hung around the shop. Was a great little place. 

I hope you had  Haagen Daas at least! 

Edited by Comics4All

On 11/9/2021 at 5:45 AM, MAR1979 said:

I've sold under 10 comics in my life, but probably traded 20-25.   The earliest trade I recall making was DD 257 condition unknown but no less than NM+ 9.6, for a  sealed/unopened  Mego Spock on Card - condition approx NM/M.  This was back around 1991? Current day not sure it was good deal or not?

Great deal! (thumbsu

On 11/9/2021 at 4:57 AM, shadroch said:

This is a very interesting question.

I traded my ASM 122 vg for a Steranko Capt. America #111 fn classic cover in grade 1 when we met at the monkey-bars. Top Overstreet was about 60c at the time for semi-keys.

No idea what books, but sold a bunch of books in grade school when we had a ‘flea market’ in our gymnasium.  What I remember more clearly, is some older kids asking about more comics and coming to my house to buy some.  They pretty much robbed me of my Ironman run.   Gave me the “oh, when you buy bulk, the prices keep dropping.”  They totally ripped me off.:censored:

If I could find those 2 MFs right now, I would give them a serious beating.

What kind of POS do you have to be to take advantage of a little kid?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/9/2021 at 7:16 AM, Comics4All said:

I hope you had  Haagen Daas at least! 

Fun fact-Häagen-Dazs doesnt mean anything-its just a 'danish sounding name' the creator's kids came up with.

On 11/9/2021 at 12:27 PM, kav said:

Fun fact-Häagen-Dazs doesnt mean anything-its just a 'danish sounding name' the creator's kids came up with.

Spoiler alert!!!  Now my day is shot!!!

Austin Powers.jpeg

I started selling stuff to buy different stuff when I was 12 years old, and that was 50 years ago, There's no way I can remember what the first thing I sold was, probably some DC books that ended up in my closet full of comics so I could buy more Marvel. 

On 11/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, rjpb said:

I started selling stuff to buy different stuff when I was 12 years old, and that was 50 years ago, There's no way I can remember what the first thing I sold was, probably some DC books that ended up in my closet full of comics so I could buy more Marvel. 

Same here .... it was probably that issue of Fritz The Cat that I sold to a classmate ..... I think I got a buck for it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Related question-what was the first comic you said WHAT THE **** and threw it across room and fumed for hours?
For me it was this baby.  Stopped reading spider man right then and there.

192-1.jpg

Edited by kav