• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Commentary - CGC Should Change Its Name To "Comics Grading, LLC"

85 posts in this topic

Let me also make clear what I presumed would have been so patently obvious.

This lengthy novel was not intended to educate those of you forumites who have been lurking and posting here for years. Of course you already knew the essence of what I was saying. foreheadslap.gifyeahok.gif

And while I certainly hope the posting will stir up some intellectual discussion from most of you beyond, "geez, did you just realize that, I knew this years ago", it is primarily designed to educate those newbies who arrive at this message board on a daily basis with no substantive background or information concerning CGC and its practices, or the current climate of aspects of our hobby. makepoint.gif

... it is primarily designed to educate those newbies who arrive at this message board on a daily basis with no substantive background or information concerning CGC and its practices, or the current climate of aspects of our hobby. makepoint.gif

thumbsup2.gif Now it's clear foreheadslap.gif ...carry on... smile.gif

... it is primarily designed to educate those newbies who arrive at this message board on a daily basis with no substantive background or information concerning CGC and its practices, or the current climate of aspects of our hobby. makepoint.gif

thumbsup2.gif Now it's clear foreheadslap.gif ...carry on... smile.gif

I feel better now. cloud9.gif

This lengthy novel was not intended to educate those of you forumites who have been lurking and posting here for years. Of course you already knew the essence of what I was saying. foreheadslap.gifyeahok.gif

And while I certainly hope the posting will stir up some intellectual discussion from most of you beyond, "geez, did you just realize that, I knew this years ago", it is primarily designed to educate those newbies who arrive at this message board on a daily basis with no substantive background or information concerning CGC and its practices, or the current climate of aspects of our hobby. makepoint.gif

i think i understood your position from the beginning - excellent summary of the basic concept of the CGC "Guarantee"......................i now wish that they would stand behind their work to a greater degree than before. if, as they've implied, the missed resto is SO insignificant, i would think that's something that they should do and factor into their costs...............

again, great job.............. thumbsup2.gif

I have intentionally stayed out of this whole issue because I do not nor do I see myself collecting slabbed books, or if I do it will be to deslab them. So I figure my voice is not a voice of personal interest, but I can understand the concerns and the anger at things that have and are transpiring.

But basically, Mark, you really DID just do a summation of not only what we have already known (even little OLD me) and there has been ream upon ream of discussion, argument etc. on all of these points for years now. Now while this information is available to those newbies by some searching and reading, this post will probably be gone insodie of a couple of weeks only to require resurrection if it is felt newer newbies need the education. confused-smiley-013.gif

Is it a decent post? Sure it is, but it IS also fed by the current clime not, as you say, "of our hobby", but of a small facet of our hobby. As the bulk of "our hobby" does not collect encapsulated books.

There really is nothing new in this post, and not to discredit you, but if you have felt this way in the past you should have been making this post in the past. I know you alluded to some of these things, especially when you came onto these boards with the pressing issue. But honestly, Mark? I see nothing new here at all, and I have to wonder about your motivation beyond the newbie. frown.gif

What will happen will happen. We all have seen controversies with CGC, have had sometimes insanely long discussions about them, seen wild accusations or possibilities being bandied about. And where are they now? On page 127 of some thread (so to speak).

I don't know. There has been some great detective work done to reveal pressed books getting a higher resub. That has been going on for what seems like ages now. Why no huge clamour about that? To me that is more important than the trimming because the pressing is FAR more prevelant. But the trimming issue gets front stage because it is not as accepted as pressing. Boith serve the same purpose: to alter a book to a higher grade. But the less popular technique gets the real publicity. It is crazy to me.

I have intentionally stayed out of this whole issue because I do not nor do I see myself collecting slabbed books, or if I do it will be to deslab them. So I figure my voice is not a voice of personal interest, but I can understand the concerns and the anger at things that have and are transpiring.

But basically, Mark, you really DID just do a summation of not only what we have already known (even little OLD me) and there has been ream upon ream of discussion, argument etc. on all of these points for years now. Now while this information is available to those newbies by some searching and reading, this post will probably be gone insodie of a couple of weeks only to require resurrection if it is felt newer newbies need the education. confused-smiley-013.gif

Is it a decent post? Sure it is, but it IS also fed by the current clime not, as you say, "of our hobby", but of a small facet of our hobby. As the bulk of "our hobby" does not collect encapsulated books.

There really is nothing new in this post, and not to discredit you, but if you have felt this way in the past you should have been making this post in the past. I know you alluded to some of these things, especially when you came onto these boards with the pressing issue. But honestly, Mark? I see nothing new here at all, and I have to wonder about your motivation beyond the newbie. frown.gif

What will happen will happen. We all have seen controversies with CGC, have had sometimes insanely long discussions about them, seen wild accusations or possibilities being bandied about. And where are they now? On page 127 of some thread (so to speak).

I don't know. There has been some great detective work done to reveal pressed books getting a higher resub. That has been going on for what seems like ages now. Why no huge clamour about that? To me that is more important than the trimming because the pressing is FAR more prevelant. But the trimming issue gets front stage because it is not as accepted as pressing. Boith serve the same purpose: to alter a book to a higher grade. But the less popular technique gets the real publicity. It is crazy to me.

Geez Pov, I feel like a wounded dog being kicked. Coming from you I am almost too stunned to respond. You actually have me speechless. Well, for just a minute at least.

I am not sure what the issue might be as to the timing of my posting this commentary. I have only been on the boards since January of this year and the Ewert scandal is really the most significant, or at least vocal, controversy that has arisen that calls into question the issue of a "guaranty". The guaranty question, in my mind, is most prominent with respect to restoration detection. I don't expect CGC to guaranty a grade. That is completely subjective. And the question of whether pressing is or is not restoration is irrelevant to a guaranty until CGC decides it is restoration. So, in light of the current climate, I thought it was entirely appropo to set forth this treatise.

I just wanted to put all my thoughts down into one detailed posting. What motivation do I have other than to simply state what I believe and wanted to share with everyone? I wear my motivation on my sleeve. What you read is what you get. So what if it is not new? So what if others had concluded the same yesterday, last week or last year? I was simply attempting to contribute to the discussion in a substantive way and call for a policy change. Maybe others will embrace my suggestion. Maybe not.

I've posted extensively and repeatedly about the issue of pressing, as well as resubs, so surely you can't suggest I have ignored the controversy surrounding that topic.

I certainly didn't expect everyone to 893applaud-thumb.gif and figured some would screwy.gif, but I am not sure I anticipated a confused-smiley-013.gif. At worst perhaps a sleeping.gif

To you Pov I say sorry.gif, and then 893censored-thumb.gif with a closing flowerred.gif

And might as well throw in a poke2.gif

You definitely owe me a drink next time I see you.

Coming from you I am almost too stunned to respond. You actually have me speechless.

Geeze it is good to know this old codger has some juice left in him!

I am not sure what the issue might be as to the timing of my posting this commentary. I have only been on the boards since January of this year and the Ewert scandal is really the most significant, or at least vocal, controversy that has arisen that calls into question the issue of a "guaranty". The guaranty question, in my mind, is most prominent with respect to restoration detection.

OK, I think it simply feels like you have been on longer than you have been. The whole "Guaranty" isue actually HAS been discussed over the years and I assumed you were familiar with those discussions. So I am reading this "Guaranty" thing and thinking "Huh?"

I still say pressing is a bigger issue and deserves a lot more press than the trimming issue. Few can trim to avoid detection. Many can press to avoid detection. Interesting thing: in some circles trimming is NOT considered restoration as it does not bring a book back to original condition., and pressing is not considered restoration because it does not add anything to a book. But both pressing sure as hell improve the appearance and the upgradability if done right.

I have just been following all of this controversy since it began and have read everything and read the next everything and now we are up to Borock's name on a legal document. I have seen the wildest specualtions being discussed almost as fact and yes, CGC is partly to blame for their lack of response. But still wild specualtion sometimes being wildly discussed.

Again, not being a collector of graded books this is far less emotional for me. But damn. You are a lawyer. You know what seems like an eternity to the layman can be a fleeting moment for a professional.

There are questions waiting to be answered. But sometimes I think people are not only expecting the answers too soon but some of the real oldtimers are creating speculative controversies in the midst of it. And with apparant gusto. As if they have been wiating for CGC to show off its invisible wardrobe. Which also makes me wonder why the hell they have stuck with CGC for so long. These things puzzle me no end but then that is me.

I will buy you a fine anisette when next we meet.

::edited as I forgot to finish the pressing/trimming thing::

::edited to remove "and trimming" thanks to he who will be unnamed::

OK, I think it simply feels like you have been on longer than you have been.

Yea, I have that effect sometime.

I still say pressing is a bigger issue and deserves a lot more press than the trimming issue. Few can trim to avoid detection. Many can press to avoid detection. Interesting thing: in some circles trimming is NOT considered restoration as it does not bring a book back to original condition., and pressing is not considered restoration because it does not add anything to a book. But both pressing and trimming sure as hell improve the appearance and the upgradability if done right.

You know I'm with you on this one.

I will buy you a fine anisette when next we meet.

Deal! flowerred.gif

ARRGHHH - I MEANT to say But both pressing and trimming sure as hell improve the appearance and the upgradability if done right. But I left off the "and trimming". So I corrected it but it is not in your quote as I corrected it after your quote. Which is interestingly not dissimilar to this whole CGC thing.

ARRGHHH - I MEANT to say But both pressing and trimming sure as hell improve the appearance and the upgradability if done right. But I left off the "and trimming". So I corrected it but it is not in your quote as I corrected it after your quote. Which is interestingly not dissimilar to this whole CGC thing.

But in this case you disclosed your trimmed post, so no witchhunt and takedown to follow thumbsup2.gif

But in this case you disclosed your trimmed post, so no witchhunt and takedown to follow thumbsup2.gif

Oh my yes - I will ALWAYS disclose my edits. Even if it is a ""sigh - typo edit::

::sigh - edit to add this demonstration edit::

ARRGHHH - I MEANT to say But both pressing and trimming sure as hell improve the appearance and the upgradability if done right. But I left off the "and trimming". So I corrected it but it is not in your quote as I corrected it after your quote.

What are you talking about Pov? Is too.

ARRGHHH - I MEANT to say But both pressing and trimming sure as hell improve the appearance and the upgradability if done right. But I left off the "and trimming". So I corrected it but it is not in your quote as I corrected it after your quote.

What are you talking about Pov? Is too.

Is not!