• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In person comic book meet up group
4 4

52 posts in this topic

When I lived in Omaha there was this group of hot rod/car guys that would meet up once a month at a local donut shop to drink coffee and talk cars. Over time they moved to the big room of a restaurant I used to manage. Then when I got a part time job for spare money at a indoor shooting range there was a group of older guys that would meet up once a month and talk firearms and random stuff. 

Has anyone here had any luck forming a group of comic book buddies, or been a part of something like that? I’ve always wanted to start a group like that and meet up to “talk shop”. When I lived in Omaha I looked on the “meet up” site and never saw a group set up, and never saw anyone looking to form one. It’s nice to have a site like this to “talk” to people about the same addiction but an in person group would be cool to. I know with COVID etc it might be harder but I wonder if things like this, book clubs etc are going the way of the dodo bird

I attended a Silver Age meetup in Long Island in the mid 1990s.  It was kool but it was pretty far from my house. The store that sponsored it ended up shutting down that location and while the new place was closer to me, the three guys who were the glue to the group stopped coming and it pretty much dissolved itself. I went to three meetings over six or seven months.  

Maybe ten years ago, my Mom was living in the Villages and she wante me to move there. She mentioned they had a comic collecting club but I never went to a meeting.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I was court ordered to do this once before as well.. :insane:

Odd, I didn’t see you there. :148480718_drumrollemoji:

CCC09D38-6466-4C4E-B0B9-A89A4045E6F2.jpeg

Edited by Galen130

On 11/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, sevans1979 said:

When I lived in Omaha there was this group of hot rod/car guys that would meet up once a month at a local donut shop to drink coffee and talk cars. Over time they moved to the big room of a restaurant I used to manage. Then when I got a part time job for spare money at a indoor shooting range there was a group of older guys that would meet up once a month and talk firearms and random stuff. 

Has anyone here had any luck forming a group of comic book buddies, or been a part of something like that? I’ve always wanted to start a group like that and meet up to “talk shop”. When I lived in Omaha I looked on the “meet up” site and never saw a group set up, and never saw anyone looking to form one. It’s nice to have a site like this to “talk” to people about the same addiction but an in person group would be cool to. I know with COVID etc it might be harder but I wonder if things like this, book clubs etc are going the way of the dodo bird

I was at my LCS a couple years ago and there were a handful of people that met to talk comics and card games.  I thought it might be interesting, until I realized that the LCS smelled like a dispensary.  Instant turn off for me so I left.  I haven’t bothered to find a group since.  Now if they were meeting at an Irish pub….hm

8EA8BAE7-65F7-4EB7-88A1-7B6B6C54C501.jpeg

For a brief period in the 90s, I "belonged" to an investing group.  Most of the meetings were in a chat room, but we did have a couple of in-person lunches and I even played golf with some of the other members.  I was going to go to an after-con drinkfest during the Rose City Comic Con this year, but ended up at my in-laws for some damn reason instead.  I'd probably go if something similar is ever on the local calendar in future.