• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Archies - Netflix movie

1 post in this topic

Netflix and Archie Comics announced that they are doing a new movie based on The Archies:

https://www.cbr.com/archies-netflix-live-action-musical/

This will be set in the 1960s, when the band first debuted, but it will be set in India, and is being produced by a Bollywood director. 

hm

I shouldn't spill the tea, but I've felt for a long time that Life with Archie #60 is a hugely underrated key issue that right now is still basically worthless. It introduces The Archies - the band featuring Archie, Jughead and Reggie originally, with the girls joining later. This comic predates the Archie cartoon, which featured The Archies and which was a massive hit, leading to Archie-mania that resulted in a massive expansion of the company's line in the 1970s. The Archies also had a number one hit pop song in the real world with "Sugar, Sugar," which was one of the best selling singles of the 1960s. And The Archies as a concept has been important in and outside the comics ever since - trying to replicate the cartoon's success led the company to create Josie and the Pussycats, and Archie's interest in becoming a musician is a key part of the character now, including on Riverdale. 

All of that, plus this new movie, began with Life with Archie #60, which itself is a parody of the hit TV series The Monkees. I got my copy for less than ten bucks earlier this year. Maybe this movie will clue people in to the importance of this issue, though I doubt it. 

For what's it's worth, The Archies did play a gig in India during the "World Tour" storyline in Archie #650, which introduced some Bollywood characters to the title. No idea if any of them will be used in the movie.