• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 129
3 3

15 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 4:26 PM, JennyG13 said:

Note [the] stain on the front cover that goes through to the inside cover.  I am unsure of what it is or if it would come off if I had it cleaned (one can hope).

This looks like a beverage/food stain to me -- perhaps a dribble from an ice cream cone or a thick chocolate shake?  It's penetrated the coated cover stock and is not removable by non-restorative dry cleaning.  Unfortunately, it's regarded as a serious/significant flaw.  :foryou:

z.jpg.ef6286853d2ea484a11338a3db54ae8f.jpg

On 11/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, zzutak said:

This looks like a beverage/food stain to me -- perhaps a dribble from an ice cream cone or a thick chocolate shake?  It's penetrated the coated cover stock and is not removable by non-restorative dry cleaning.  Unfortunately, it's regarded as a serious/significant flaw.  :foryou:

z.jpg.ef6286853d2ea484a11338a3db54ae8f.jpg

How would you proceed with a flaw like this?  Leave it as is and do a regular press and clean or do some type of restoration?  If it cannot be removed how does this affect the grade?

Just a standard non-restorative dry cleaning followed by a pressing (both performed by a skilled pro).  Restoration would be a losing proposition.  With the penetrating cover stain, the rusty staples, and other defects that can't be removed, I think you're looking at a "final" grade in the 5.0 VG/FN to 5.5 FN- range.  One man's opinion.  :foryou:

On 11/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, zzutak said:

Just a standard non-restorative dry cleaning followed by a pressing (both performed by a skilled pro).  Restoration would be a losing proposition.  With the penetrating cover stain, the rusty staples, and other defects that can't be removed, I think you're looking at a "final" grade in the 5.0 VG/FN to 5.5 FN- range.  One man's opinion.  :foryou:

Thanks, I appreciate this feedback.  I'm still new at all of this, but I'm  wondering if people who have been doing this a long time use CGC to do their pressing and dry cleaning?

On 11/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, JennyG13 said:

Thanks, I appreciate this feedback.  I'm still new at all of this, but I'm  wondering if people who have been doing this a long time use CGC to do their pressing and dry cleaning?

If you LOVE the book and want to keep it, you may have the staples either cleaned or replaced and a solvent bath to remove the staining. If you want it graded, you will get a purple label. If you leave it ungraded, you will have a nice looking book for your collection. I would opt for the former in his case. I can handle cover cleaned or even very minor amount of color touch, but not pieces added and tears sealed. A good cleaning and pressing by any means necessary would benefit this book. But keep it raw and the work order with the book so you can tell a future buyer what the deal is with it.

And I would not sell it at a third of its value, either. It's an AMS 129. Cleaned with period staples replaced. I never agreed with a solvent bath considered resto when it s only removing stains and dirt. The book never came with the stains and dirt.

On 11/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, Randall Ries said:

If you LOVE the book and want to keep it, you may have the staples either cleaned or replaced and a solvent bath to remove the staining. If you want it graded, you will get a purple label. If you leave it ungraded, you will have a nice looking book for your collection. I would opt for the former in his case. I can handle cover cleaned or even very minor amount of color touch, but not pieces added and tears sealed. A good cleaning and pressing by any means necessary would benefit this book. But keep it raw and the work order with the book so you can tell a future buyer what the deal is with it.

And I would not sell it at a third of its value, either. It's an AMS 129. Cleaned with period staples replaced. I never agreed with a solvent bath considered resto when it s only removing stains and dirt. The book never came with the stains and dirt.

So, if I understand correctly - anything beyond dry cleaning is considered restoration? Using a solvent is restoration?  Regardless of how attached I am to some books vs. others... my decision making process comes back to investment and ability to sell the book at some point. In this case blue vs. purple label...do blue books always have higher value/demand?  I appreciate your take and advice on keeping work orders. Still so much to learn...

On 11/17/2021 at 11:37 PM, JennyG13 said:

So, if I understand correctly - anything beyond dry cleaning is considered restoration? Using a solvent is restoration?  Regardless of how attached I am to some books vs. others... my decision making process comes back to investment and ability to sell the book at some point. In this case blue vs. purple label...do blue books always have higher value/demand?  I appreciate your take and advice on keeping work orders. Still so much to learn...

Blue trumps purple by a wide margin. Liquid cleaning is considered restoration. There is some weird thing between "Conserved" and "Restoration" with some books. I think they are mostly golden age books. You can get a "conserved" blue label instead of a purple label. I think it must have something to do with the book itself but the work done on them seems to have the same characteristics as a usual purple label fare. I believe there is a lively debate here on the boards somewhere about that.