• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question on Golden Age Marvel Family Comics
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I mostly lurk in this forum as my budget doesn't allow for much back issue comic collecting, but I'm considering a couple of golden age Marvel Family books, and as I've only ever bought one other golden age book I would appreciate it if you folks could give me your opinions? 

There are two different copies of issue 21 on ebay right now that I have my eye on. One is a Canadian edition, CGC 6.0, with a date stamp; and the other is CGC Restored 8.0 with right edge trimming (I know trimming is verboten on this board but this book would be for my own collection, not to sell, and to me its appearance is fine) and a name stamp at the top. Someone named Paul Ladefoged stamped their name on the book.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and it's the answer I'm leaning toward as well, but which of these copies would you guys find more desirable, and why? Also, is a Canadian edition of a Marvel Family comic less desirable than an American edition? Are they considered interchangeable?

And what do you guys think about name stamps? Date stamps I can deal with as long as they're unobtrusive because they have a kind of charm about them, but a stamp with the name of a person is another thing entirely.

I'd appreciate any insights you guys could offer! 

Marvel Family 1.jpg

Marvel Family 2.jpg

Marvel Family 3.jpg

Marvel Family 4.jpg

Edited by Mark Warren

Of the two, I'd go for the 6.0 Canadian.  But, frankly, in the grade range you are looking at I'd consider buying a much cheaper raw copy so you can read the stories.  You can also get an 8.5 blue of no. 5 for only $440 on Heritage.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, Mark Warren said:

Hi all,

I mostly lurk in this forum as my budget doesn't allow for much back issue comic collecting, but I'm considering a couple of golden age Marvel Family books, and as I've only ever bought one other golden age book I would appreciate it if you folks could give me your opinions? 

There are two different copies of issue 21 on ebay right now that I have my eye on. One is a Canadian edition, CGC 6.0, with a date stamp; and the other is CGC Restored 8.0 with right edge trimming (I know trimming is verboten on this board but this book would be for my own collection, not to sell, and to me its appearance is fine) and a name stamp at the top. Someone named Paul Ladefoged stamped their name on the book.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and it's the answer I'm leaning toward as well, but which of these copies would you guys find more desirable, and why? Also, is a Canadian edition of a Marvel Family comic less desirable than an American edition? Are they considered interchangeable?

And what do you guys think about name stamps? Date stamps I can deal with as long as they're unobtrusive because they have a kind of charm about them, but a stamp with the name of a person is another thing entirely.

I'd appreciate any insights you guys could offer! 

Marvel Family 1.jpg

Marvel Family 2.jpg

Marvel Family 3.jpg

Marvel Family 4.jpg

Thought about getting that raw 6.0 on ebay when I saw it myself too but I'm not precisely sure what "Very small bit of magic behind top and bottom staple to secure cover" means, tape I'm guessing?  and the seller didn't respond when I asked. 

To your question date stamps and names don't bother me in the least on comics, provided they're not obnoxiously huge and they're kept to the edges or are otherwise in unobtrusive spots.

For the slabbed copies I'd take a pass on restored unless they discount this one about 80%..., and pass on Canadian copies in general unless offered at a hefty discount (sorry Canada!).

Great book anyway, hope you find a copy you'll be happy with.

Edited by szav

the more date stamps and names written on them the better to me. part of the reason i love old comics is the history of each issue, who bought it, what happened to it, its individual history. but i am weird i guess, i seek out old comics that look like they were loved and used, like i love when i can tell a comic was folded up and some kid bought it, folded it up and stuck it in their back pocket and rode around on their bike with it in their back pocket, wrote their name on it so their friends didnt try and steal it.

there's raw copies of that issue on ebay right now and other marvel families for under 50 bucks, buy one of those and enjoy the great comics inside

On 11/29/2021 at 5:21 PM, circumstances said:

Stay away from Canadian editions of American comics.

Save your money and bide your time. American and unrestored should not slow down your search much.

Let them come to you.

Curious, why avoid Canadian editions ? I know UK editions usually go for less, though there are claims some might actually be printed before US editions. I have also heard there was a short craze for Australian editions because of the small print runs.  Looking for insight...

On 2/3/2022 at 9:11 AM, jaydog said:

Curious, why avoid Canadian editions ? I know UK editions usually go for less, though there are claims some might actually be printed before US editions. I have also heard there was a short craze for Australian editions because of the small print runs.  Looking for insight...

My guess is that your typical GA collector does not care much about variants because the regular edition GA comics are rare enough themselves particularly in grade.

Could also be that not enough of these GA variants even exist to establish enough sales points to even give them a known value.

There just isn’t  the same need or market pressure (or interest) for any particular GA comic  to make The variants highly desirable in the same manner that ‘rare’ modern variants, BA price variants etc. seem to be.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, jaydog said:

For non-Canadians, Canadian editions are less desirable.  Canadian women, on the other hand... :shiftyeyes:

On 2/3/2022 at 11:11 AM, jaydog said:

I'm no expert, but many Golden Age Canadian editions are in black and white instead of color, and often have lower page counts. I have a few that are missing stories as a result - they have 2 stories instead of 3, for instance. 

I don't mind them at the right price, though. My Girls' Love Stories #1 is a Canadian edition and it cost about 1/3 what a U.S. edition in the same grade would have. That's okay by my wallet!

On 2/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, jaydog said:

Canadian editions with the same cover as US editions don't always contain the same contents for the cover as the US edition.  Also, the interior printing, when in color, is often out of register, sometimes severely, so there may be many pages where the colors don't line up at all.