Newbie Question on Golden Age Marvel Family Comics
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I mostly lurk in this forum as my budget doesn't allow for much back issue comic collecting, but I'm considering a couple of golden age Marvel Family books, and as I've only ever bought one other golden age book I would appreciate it if you folks could give me your opinions? 

There are two different copies of issue 21 on ebay right now that I have my eye on. One is a Canadian edition, CGC 6.0, with a date stamp; and the other is CGC Restored 8.0 with right edge trimming (I know trimming is verboten on this board but this book would be for my own collection, not to sell, and to me its appearance is fine) and a name stamp at the top. Someone named Paul Ladefoged stamped their name on the book.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and it's the answer I'm leaning toward as well, but which of these copies would you guys find more desirable, and why? Also, is a Canadian edition of a Marvel Family comic less desirable than an American edition? Are they considered interchangeable?

And what do you guys think about name stamps? Date stamps I can deal with as long as they're unobtrusive because they have a kind of charm about them, but a stamp with the name of a person is another thing entirely.

I'd appreciate any insights you guys could offer! 

Marvel Family 1.jpg

Marvel Family 2.jpg

Marvel Family 3.jpg

Marvel Family 4.jpg

Edited by Mark Warren

Of the two, I'd go for the 6.0 Canadian.  But, frankly, in the grade range you are looking at I'd consider buying a much cheaper raw copy so you can read the stories.  You can also get an 8.5 blue of no. 5 for only $440 on Heritage.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, Mark Warren said:

Hi all,

I mostly lurk in this forum as my budget doesn't allow for much back issue comic collecting, but I'm considering a couple of golden age Marvel Family books, and as I've only ever bought one other golden age book I would appreciate it if you folks could give me your opinions? 

There are two different copies of issue 21 on ebay right now that I have my eye on. One is a Canadian edition, CGC 6.0, with a date stamp; and the other is CGC Restored 8.0 with right edge trimming (I know trimming is verboten on this board but this book would be for my own collection, not to sell, and to me its appearance is fine) and a name stamp at the top. Someone named Paul Ladefoged stamped their name on the book.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and it's the answer I'm leaning toward as well, but which of these copies would you guys find more desirable, and why? Also, is a Canadian edition of a Marvel Family comic less desirable than an American edition? Are they considered interchangeable?

And what do you guys think about name stamps? Date stamps I can deal with as long as they're unobtrusive because they have a kind of charm about them, but a stamp with the name of a person is another thing entirely.

I'd appreciate any insights you guys could offer! 

Marvel Family 1.jpg

Marvel Family 2.jpg

Marvel Family 3.jpg

Marvel Family 4.jpg

Thought about getting that raw 6.0 on ebay when I saw it myself too but I'm not precisely sure what "Very small bit of magic behind top and bottom staple to secure cover" means, tape I'm guessing?  and the seller didn't respond when I asked. 

To your question date stamps and names don't bother me in the least on comics, provided they're not obnoxiously huge and they're kept to the edges or are otherwise in unobtrusive spots.

For the slabbed copies I'd take a pass on restored unless they discount this one about 80%..., and pass on Canadian copies in general unless offered at a hefty discount (sorry Canada!).

Great book anyway, hope you find a copy you'll be happy with.

Edited by szav

the more date stamps and names written on them the better to me. part of the reason i love old comics is the history of each issue, who bought it, what happened to it, its individual history. but i am weird i guess, i seek out old comics that look like they were loved and used, like i love when i can tell a comic was folded up and some kid bought it, folded it up and stuck it in their back pocket and rode around on their bike with it in their back pocket, wrote their name on it so their friends didnt try and steal it.

there's raw copies of that issue on ebay right now and other marvel families for under 50 bucks, buy one of those and enjoy the great comics inside

On 11/30/2021 at 6:15 PM, Mark Warren said:

Thank for the advice. I'm passing on both of those books and I'm going to try some online dealers.

mycomicshop usually has many, many fawcetts available.

if you buy raw, their grading is usually tight.