• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lassie #41 - 1958
4 4

13 posts in this topic

This book looks and feels like it just came off the rack, but has a bit of that old comic book odor.

Some very light color rubbing on the bottom spine. Very faint thumb crease on the outside front cover edge about 3" up from the bottom. Edges are sharp and clean. Centerfold is tight. Lassie come home.

lassie f.c. 001 (2).jpg

lassie b.c. 001 (2).jpg

20211130_081843 (2).jpg

20211130_081855.jpg

20211130_081906 (3).jpg

20211130_081917 (2).jpg

Edited by DR.X

Top Edge Poorly Trimmed (bindery?), Upper Right Corner Slightly Rounded, Top Staple Discolored/Rusted, Slight Spine Wear.

Depending on how you view the poorly trimmed top edge and discolored staple, IMO...

9.2 NEAR MINT- (NM-):  Back to Top
Nearly perfect with only a minor additional defect or defects that keep it from Near Mint. A limited number of minor bindery/printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with only the slightest dimming of reflectivity. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:34 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Top Edge Poorly Trimmed (bindery?), Upper Right Corner Slightly Rounded, Top Staple Discolored/Rusted, Slight Spine Wear.

Depending on how you view the poorly trimmed top edge and discolored staple, IMO...

Okay, maybe these pics will help you out. LOL

Here's another shot of the top staple. It's the angle of that pic that made it look dark. There is no rust anywhere, none, nada.

Here's another shot of the top edge. And there is a bit of over hang from the pages, and it looks straight as an arrow. Pic looks funny but I doubt this edge is trimmed but thanks for the comments.

20211130_105600.jpg

20211130_105537.jpg

I think the darker colored areas in the middle and the sides give it the appearance of a wave. Looks straight to me, but what do I know.

20211130_110404 (2).jpg

Edited by DR.X

On 12/1/2021 at 7:58 AM, comicginger1789 said:

What's that Lassie? Timmy jumped in the well after he found out his books he sent to CGC in January wouldn't be back until October and he missed the window to sell West Coast Avengers 45 for a record high?!

Oh and book looks 9.0ish to me. 

You didn't specify Oct of what year? Asking for a friend.

The issue with the top edge trim is not straightness, it was trimmed to low, you can see it in the "Dell Insignia".

More than likely it was a bindery issue, however, IMO it detracts enough from its aesthetic appeal to keep it from a higher grade.

Also, I will never give a book a higher grade than a NM 9.4 without having the book in front of me.

This is how the top edge should look.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjQzNDQxOWRmLTgxOGQtNDM2NS05YmEwLWFjNGNkMWQ0NGVlZS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJub3JtYWxpc2UiOnRydWV9fQ==.webp

I don't think the wonky top edge cut will affect the grade; CGC offers technical grades, which aren't intended to reflect eye appeal, and so miscuts and miswraps don't do anything except keep you out of the 9.9 pile that nothing ever gets anyway.

Here, though, I see a few issues. The FC UR corner looks a little soft. The FC LL corner looks even worse; you can tell from the back cover that there's a little bit of fanning of that corner. On the back cover, the white dot at LR is probably just inconsistent production inking, but there looks like there's a little bit of color rub along the BC LR spine. I assume the light stripe at bottom-center is either production inking or actually intended to look like that. However, I'm a little concerned with the BC top edge, because it really looks to me like there's some discoloration there (look above "Gum" and thereabouts). It could be a trick of the light in that picture, but it makes me nervous.

I'm gonna go 8.5-9.0 here, but it could be higher (if that discoloration is just an illusion, 9.2?) or lower (if that discoloration is water damage, maybe as low as 8.0), depending on the characteristics of the book in hand.

Lassie, of course, rates a 10/10 because dogs are good.

Wow. Nice copy.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:01 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Also, I will never give a book a higher grade than a NM 9.4 without having the book in front of me.

I like the way you think.

(Also the grading scale should stop there.)

Thanks for posting.