• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for CGC graded 7.0 - 8.5???

28 posts in this topic

Question for the group:

Is it worth buying CGC mid-grade (7.0 - 8.5) books? I'm not really talking about key issues or rare books, im asking about average books from the 60's - 70's and even early to mid 80's.

I know that 9.0 is really the standard and even higher for more modern books, but what about the ones that fall below? From a $$$ standpoint, do you think these types of books will increase in value over time?

For example: Amazing Spider-man #166 (year published: 1977), I saw a 8.5 CGC graded book for $35. What do you all think?

Is it worth buying CGC mid-grade (7.0 - 8.5) books? I'm not really talking about key issues or rare books, im asking about average books from the 60's - 70's and even early to mid 80's.

No.

I know that 9.0 is really the standard and even higher for more modern books, but what about the ones that fall below? From a $$$ standpoint, do you think these types of books will increase in value over time?

No. If anything, they will decrease in value over time as more and more higher graded copies come out into the market.

For example: Amazing Spider-man #166 (year published: 1977), I saw a 8.5 CGC graded book for $35. What do you all think?

That's throwing $30 into a hole. Buy a nicely graded NM copy of that book for $10, put it into a mylar, and be happy.

I have no problems with SA books in that range.Same with early BA ones as well. I won't pay a premium for them,and expect themto sell under guide,but will buy them at the right price all day long.Just bought some from Rob React yesterday.

I find 7.5 to be a perfectly acceptable grade for key SA issues...A 6.0 - 7.5 GA is also quite a treat sometimes...BA gimmee 9.2 as a min grade...MA toss 'em no matter what the grade... takeit.gif

I have no problems with SA books in that range.Same with early BA ones as well. I won't pay a premium for them,and expect themto sell under guide,but will buy them at the right price all day long.Just bought some from Rob React yesterday.

Yeah, but not slabbed.

Anytime a CGC graded book can be purchased for about the same price

as the ungraded version... at ANY grade, go for it.

This may sound like it shouldn't happen, but it does.

Somehow "lesser" CGC grades often have low prices

that essentially give you the CGC grading for free,

compared to the ungraded version at the same price.

I recently picked up a CGC 9.6 of a book for the same price as an "ungraded" NM+ copy.

(I guess people are gambling that the ungraded ones are actually in better than 9.6 shape.)

Just say "YES" to free slabs, regardless of grade. (Don't get suckered on shipping costs, though.) thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't buy a 8.5 Spidey 166 for more than $10,slabbed or not.

No who's [not] buying the label instead of the book? If the darn thing looked spectacular, which some (many bronze) 8.5s do, $10 is a steal.

Yeah, but not slabbed.

I pay X for a book that I want,slabbed or raw. If a slabbed book is a dollar or two more,I'll go for the slab as it has a resto check.

Yeah, but not slabbed.

I pay X for a book that I want,slabbed or raw. If a slabbed book is a dollar or two more,I'll go for the slab as it has a resto check.

Right, but that's not what his question was.

Question for the group:

Most of my Silver Age is in the 7.0 - 8.5 range and I would love to buy books in this range in CGC slabs. But, unless it is a key or book with a high resto potential, I will not pay a premium for slabbed books in this range.

In my view, these grades allow enough "margin for error" that the CGC grading is not as critical as it is in 9.x type books.

There's nothing wrong with the grade - 7.0 to 8.5 - but you'll pay too high a percentage for the slabbing.

Paraphrasing Donut, buy a 'not so' nicely graded NM for $10, that turns out to be a VF+ or VF/NM, voila!

unless we're talking about an ASm 129, Hulk 181 and a few others, what would the point be of slabbing most of these late 60s - 80s books to get back an 8.5, much less a 7.0?

your Hulk 1, heck, even Hulk 5, FF 12, etc... yeah, sure, people worry about restoration and such.

it just doesn't make sense for that 70s spidey. if you want a nice solid 8.5 copy you can go to a show and hold one in your hand an haggle, etc. and get it at a discount off guide. no need to spend $30-$50 on a slab or even $15 getting one slabbed.

donut says buy a NM one for $10, and no doubt they're out there, but you may get a bunch of $10 stinkers in the process on ebay.

now maybe you can't go to a show, but a lot of other people can, so that's going to impact prices.

plus, detectable resto on your late 70s spidey is highly unlikely.