• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFA APA

33 posts in this topic

The latest one I have is #60.

"The APA used to allow members and others to buy extra issues direct- the forgery problem however has led us to now offer them only through occasional ebay sales."

So that's why Roger Hill didn't return my email requesting info on upcoming issues. frown.gif

How do you join? Do I have to get jumped in like if I was going to join the Crips? headbang.gif That would be pretty hardcore (but maybe not as hardcore as paying $400 an issue ebay)...

Alright - enough smart-arse comments from myself -- what are the membership requirements? Thanks! - Keith

Not sure whether they are accepting new contributors or not.

Don't they operate under a system where there is a set number of members and a waiting list and you can only get in once someone in drops out? I think the waiting list is quite long already. Any one can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello guys!

I'm not sure if there are any other CFA-APA members here, on this Board? I've only registered here, a few months ago.. And haven't really posted anything of consequence yet. Just browsing thru all of the cool threads.. Looking at all of the amazing JPEGs, etc!

My name is Rich Dannys.. I rejoined the CFA-APA recently. After not being a member for a time, & missing the experience of it. You're correct, the APA sometimes seems like some cult-ish "Secret Society" at times.. But no, we don't have decoder rings, long robes.. Or paddle each others' bums, during initiation ceremonies! haha

We're only 'Original Art' enthusiasts..

The eBay auction has been a hot topic for discussion amongst us, as a group. But, happily so.. As this was the 1st-ever auction conducted BY and FOR the APA group, as a whole. And the monies gleaned, will likely go towards alleviating production & mailing costs. Though, nothing yet has been decided.

Amazingly.. I found out tonight, that the $382 final bid was not the highest-ever bid on a CFA-APA issue.. Apparently a copy of #1 once sold for a staggering $432?!!

To answer some questions, quickly.. I'm honestly not sure if the Membership Roll is full, currently.. But yes, the group generally operates on the idea of having a finite number of members. It also has specific rules on maintaining membership. Some participants can lose their membership, if they regularly miss contributing articles to the issues, etc..

Fellow member, Ray Cuthbert.. once posted an excellent "info" writeup for our APA, in the yahoo! groups.. I'm pasting it into this response. And I'd encourage any of you reading this, that're interested in 'Original Art' & participating in the CFA-APA.. To check it out & definitely thnk about coming onboard with us.. I don't think you'd regret it!

Okay,-- here's what Ray wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The CFA-APA, or the 'Comic and Fantasy Art Amateur Press Association', is a small collective of people that appreciate graphic art created for comic strips, comic books, and fantasy illustrations. This organization is the oldest one of its type.

The CFA-APA began as an informal forum for original comic art collectors to exchange ideas, experiences and information. It provides serious fans and collectors of comic and fantasy art with a forum/publication for discussion of topics, ideas or opinions relative to the original art marketplace.

It is designed for those people who have a genuine interest and love for all types of art collecting: comic book art, illustrations of science-fiction, fantasy, horror or adventure stories, pin-up/good-girl art, cover art from paperbacks, hardcover books, magazines or pulps, newspaper strips or cartoon art, animation art, movie posters or advertising artwork, and related illustrations or sketches.

The CFA-APA was created in 1985 by Roger Hill. Roger is one of the most active comic art collectors, researchers and comic art historians in the country. He is one of the consultants for evaluation of original comic art for Sotheby Auctioneers.

What the magazine is:

The magazine consists of articles written, laid out, and duplicated by its

members that are sent to an editor/collator for distribution. Each issue is

dedicated to specific articles or general themes.

Past issues have had such topics as:

* The artists of Edgar Rice Burroughs

* Neal Adams

* Good Girl Art

* Underground Comic Books

* E.C. Horror Comic Books

* Carmine Infantino

* Jim Steranko

* The Artists of The Studio

* Jack Kirby

* Al Williamson

* Joe Kubert (with a tribute by some guy named George Pratt...)

among others.......

How it works:

The annual dues are $24.00 for one year (4 issues), $26.00 in Canada, $39.00 outside the

USA/Canada. These fees are used to cover the costs of binding, packaging and mailing the CFA-APA. All issues go out through first class mail.

Membership is limited to 35 people at any one time. We are a small group, but our issues typically run about 250 pages on the average. Vacancies in the membership roll are filled from a waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis.

What the members do:

Each member must contribute at least two pages or original typed text material for each mailing. They can talk about comments from the prior issue, the artist being featured, comic art auctions or anything related to original art in general. It turns out to be only 2 pages submitted every

four months to remain a CFA-APA member (most members typically contribute more to the issues than 2 pages).

Should a member miss an issue, they must contribute 4 pages of text to the following issue. If they fail to do so, they forfeit their active membership and go to the end of the waiting list for

new members if they like.

We are not too stringent about what members can discuss. Our goal is to have fun and for the CFA-APA to be enjoyable to all members. We are very diverse. Our members include doctors, lawyers, filmmakers, comic art dealers and artists themselves.

Each of the members must submit 40 copies (double sided pages) of their contribution to the editor, who assembles the issues, provides a color cover (whenever possible), cerlox binds the issues, and sends them to the members. Although there are potentially 35 members, the non-member copies go to potential new members, and to interested parties on a first-come first-served basis.

We do try to keep the CFA-APA fun. There is no 'bashing' of other members or their art tastes in the issues. If a member is suspected of fraudulent art dealings, they are asked to temporarily relinquish their membership until they are cleared of the charges or until restitution to the parties

has been made.

The CFA-APA is a quality, well produced periodical. It is read by professionals in the comic art world. Many of the artists living that had an issue dedicated to them are familiar with our magazine. One of the benefits of membership is that it allows one to network with other members, who are always looking out for art they know another member would be interested in. Our members currently span the globe.

Members are currently all over America, Canada, and in England. Comic art dealers are well

represented. A few are members. Most of the major art dealers were members at one time or another.

Some of the featured artists themselves write guest contributions. It is a great way to meet them. Occasionally, we have a give-away in an issue, giving away a free piece of artwork to a member rendered by the featured artist, or related to the feature artist. In our underground comic issue, we had three original art pieces given away to the members. It is also a great way to learn about artists that is not available in any other reference work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you have specific questions about the APA.. Please feel free to PM me, privately!

Thanks!!

-- Rich

Thanks for the Welcome, David!

Yeah, Bill Leach is a great guy & valued member of the APA.. He was one of our former Art Director, when Bob Koppany edited our issues. Bill works as a highschool Art teacher in California. And is CRAZY for anything related to EC!! I've contributed a couple of 'GhoulLunatic' illustrations to Bill's excellent EC 'zine myself, over the years: "HORROR from the CRYPT of FEAR"! I think Bud Plant still has copies of Bill's zine..

My memory is poor.. but I think the #52 issue may have been the last one I contributed to, before I left the APA for awhile. As I recall, I did an article on Bruce Timm & friends? I can't remember now..

TTYLater!

-- Rich

Hello!

Yes.. CFA-APA #35 from September of '94 did!

The "theme" subject for that issue, was entitled: "Artists of the Underground Comix"..

And it featured a Robert Crumb cover!

I didn't join the APA 'til issue #37.. So I don't even own that one, myself..

And I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to come by. Just keep following the eBay sales. That's probably your best bet..

Good Luck!

-- Rich

No offence intended to poster but whats so special about this magazine.

Is it an old run that finished or an ongoing series?

It's not a magazine, it's a fanzine of comic art fans. They share their art and alot of information/opinions on the artists. Also, con reports and latest purchases. It's still ongoing but not on any set schedule (from what I can tell). Issue #66 was the latest I've seen. Not sure if #67 is out. Unfortunately, only members get copies. And only a few find their way onto the secondary market (eBay) where they go for quite a lot of money.

They really are great reading and good source of info. thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, "Norinn Radd" described it, pretty accurately..

It's an 'Amateur Press Association' made up of a group of roughly 40 'Original Art' collectors from the U.S., Canada, and Overseas.. By no means, do I have an awesome collection, myself. But I initially joined, simply to get the APA issues and the OA "rareties".. Many of the images, being shot directly from pieces in private collections.. If you love Comic Art, you will love this APA!

We publish articles on a different "theme" 3 times, each year. Our last issue (#67) just came out, re: the subject of: "Re-creations - Threat or Menace?" A subject that was discussed pretty thoroughly on the 'comicart-l' list, awhile back..

We are currently working on issue #68 for mid-March. Which will focus on: "Gene Colan"..

There is info on the 1st Page of this Thread, re: Membership.. Though I should add, that we just underwent a recent Recruitment drive.. Where we've added 3 new members, including this Board's own: Keith Veronese.. (Hello, Keith!!) hah

Because the Membership Roster has a cap of around 40.. You'd have to sit on a "waiting list" for a bit, before you could join. Members come-and-go pretty regularly.. So I don't imagine it would be a LONG wait.

If you're interested "Ares".. Please feel free to PM me. for more info. I usually bring the most recent CFA-APA issue with me to the TORONTO COMICON for interested parties to peruse, and see what the CFA-APA is all about!

-- Rich

Yeah, "Norinn Radd" described it, pretty accurately..

It's an 'Amateur Press Association' made up of a group of roughly 40 'Original Art' collectors from the U.S., Canada, and Overseas.. By no means, do I have an awesome collection, myself. But I initially joined, simply to get the APA issues and the OA "rareties".. Many of the images, being shot directly from pieces in private collections.. If you love Comic Art, you will love this APA!

We publish articles on a different "theme" 3 times, each year. Our last issue (#67) just came out, re: the subject of: "Re-creations - Threat or Menace?" A subject that was discussed pretty thoroughly on the 'comicart-l' list, awhile back..

We are currently working on issue #68 for mid-March. Which will focus on: "Gene Colan"..

There is info on the 1st Page of this Thread, re: Membership.. Though I should add, that we just underwent a recent Recruitment drive.. Where we've added 3 new members, including this Board's own: Keith Veronese.. (Hello, Keith!!) hah

Because the Membership Roster has a cap of around 40.. You'd have to sit on a "waiting list" for a bit, before you could join. Members come-and-go pretty regularly.. So I don't imagine it would be a LONG wait.

If you're interested "Ares".. Please feel free to PM me. for more info. I usually bring the most recent CFA-APA issue with me to the TORONTO COMICON for interested parties to peruse, and see what the CFA-APA is all about!

-- Rich

I gotta get working on that article smile.gif. I'm just kidding - I've been working on it. I'm just a nervous first-timer.

"The APA used to allow members and others to buy extra issues direct- the forgery problem however has led us to now offer them only through occasional ebay sales."

So that's why Roger Hill didn't return my email requesting info on upcoming issues. frown.gif

Interesting subject.

A few years ago, there was a discussion in the CFA-APA about putting out a Best of CFA-APA, an idea that was quickly decided against, for reasons that included the question of each article being owned by the author, complex considerations such as that...

Not that long ago, there were limited editions of CFA-APA reprinting articles by the writer, sold on eBay auctions, described as compilation of just his own material -

I wonder if that approach was allowed or if the member was told to cease and desist.

Then there's the large amount of reprints of copyright material often used in the actual issues of CFA-APA, which members were only asked to include a copyright mention for, which most contributors did, out of respect for the source material being used, fairly... presumably because of the low print run and relative privacy of the CFA-APA.

I was a contributing member for about 20 issues, and while I haven't seen any issues since leaving amicably around 2000, I can describe in general what the issues included.

For example, the Artists of EC issue was one of the thickest, at least 300 pages full.

Bill Leach was inspired by that issue's dedication - as a big fan of EC horror art - he went through the Russ Cochran Complete EC volumes of Crypt, Vault, Haunt and Shock, picked out his favorite splash pages, photo-copied them from the crisp b+w reproductions in the various books, and included with his brief yet very personal tribute to EC - over 60 pages of page 1's from various stories, nicely reduced to fit on 8x11 xerograpic paper.

In those days, we submitted 60 copies of evry page in our contributions, and membership was rarely at capacity, often at around 30 or so - so there were a lot of extra copies leftover, a couple of which were sent gratis to professionals, around 4 per issue.

There was a good supply of back issues available when I joined around # 27; though none older than #20 - which I bought from Bill Leach directly, the Graham Ingels issue.

He had a good supply of extras from the unsold of 60 copies per issue assembled) for trade or sale, definitely thinking ahead.

The editor had control of the rest of the unsold extras which for some issues was Bill, Roger Hill, Wally Harrington or whomever had the time and energy to take on the huge task of assembling all the mostly photo-copied pages that made up each member's contribution.

On occassion contributions included something special such as pages with pasted-on Kodak color glossies snapped at conventions, of members standing next to comic artists.

Some issues have brochures from galleries pasted onto pages; on one occasion Bill tipped in color covers from his publication of a Corben painting personally commissioned by Bill - featuring Bill as a character - for the reprinting of Tales from the Plague.

Although of little cash value by themselves, such tipped-in items did give the zine some much needed color within; and made it appear to have multi-media bonuses, a bit like the poetry apas that bind contributions on all sorts of textured paper that look one-of-a-kind rather than just a wedge of black and white photo copies, which is what the CFA-APAs are mainly filled with.

And not always from original art, recalling the issues I was involved with, many of the art reproductions submitted were shot from color comic book pulp pages, and the clarity of the copies was poor.

I made copies from vintage comic book pages too, though I usually got pretty good results, from decent copiers.

In the Art of Reed Crandall issue and other issues, however, there were several duplications of the same Golden Age pages in different articles, and some of these were poor quality photo-copies.

This is part of the amateur charm of the CFA-APA zines, and what filled them up to 200+ pages.

Their limited, closely guarded print runs, and mainly their impressive size, help make them sell for a lot on eBay.

But are they really worth $300-400?

As collectibles, yes.

In terms of content, there are some well researched articles, useful indexes, and nice repros from art reduced to 8 x11 or the few superb 11x17 foldouts to be sure - along with 1st draft, last minute filler sent in to fulfill the membership requirements.

Old issues include a few hand-scrawled (not typed) articles, and rambling personal life stuff better suited to a my space chat room where friends endlessly blog amongst themselves.

Before strict guidelines were set, a small number of members engaged in bitter criticism of other members believed to be uncool dealers instead of selfless curators.

Is there truly a brotherhood of collectors sharing prime originals with the flock... or a pack of wolves pawing off their bulk as they stalk for the keepers?

If you trade favorite pieces in hopes of joining the in crowd and getting equal value in return...

Some day you just might get to write about the ordeal in an upcoming CFA-APA.

sign-rantpost.gif

I'm sorry it sounds like you had some negative experiences in your time in the APA.

With that said, I would just like to say that most of the "antiquated" techniques mentioned in your response are no longer a part of the current APA mailings. With the proliferation of professional quality desktop publishing programs, the APA now has a very sleek and professional look for the most part (with color now as well!). One of our own CGC board members, Attezarf/ Rich Dannys, does some extremely high-quality stuff for the APA. The leadership of the APA is quite strong and they are doing quite a good job. If you ever have a chance to rejoin - I wouldn't pass it up.