• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Most Important Comic Book Figure You’ve Never Heard Of…
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Here’s the lovely piece Gary Groth did on her directly after her death. I actually think he’s had a number of good points over the years but they all get buried in his personal attitude and frankly lack of social Professional etiquette. I wouldn’t think he’s invited to many weddings or funerals…

https://web.archive.org/web/20000615053747/http://www.tcj.com/2_archives/e_groth1191.html

At first I thought you were writing about Dori Seda, who also died very young.  I'm sure Kalish would be aghast at the state of the new comic book market!  They got rid of that pesky returnable newsstand distribution, and the direct market couldn't be called healthy!  Rest In Print!  (:

On 12/7/2021 at 12:04 AM, Coverless 9.8 said:

At first I thought you were writing about Dori Seda, who also died very young.  I'm sure Kalish would be aghast at the state of the new comic book market!  They got rid of that pesky returnable newsstand distribution, and the direct market couldn't be called healthy!  Rest In Print!  (:

I wasn’t a big fan of that type of work but certainly remember Dori Seda and her early death too. No I wasn’t referring to the current state of the print market but more of how Marvel and others have emerged in the 21st century as well known media fixtures. No one in 1991 envisioned comics fate as it is 2021. When Amazon appeared in the late 1990’s and was a premiere bookseller at first then quickly moved to other markets by the early 2000’s that was the decline of really all print media beginning to happen. Comics weren’t loners they were just along for the ride and fortunately for them they had other options outside print unlike most others…

I met Carol Kalish back in the late 80s at my local comic shop. This was not some big business - they might have made the Top 1000 Comic Shops if there were only 1500 of them - but here was a VP from Marvel, coming to talk to them. She was a striking woman, prematurely gray, and had the rare ability to talk AND listen. It was something, seeing someone who clearly was interested in growing Marvel's business, obviously, but also interested in making sure the local shops were doing well regardless.