• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get Yer Spidey 129's Here!!!

30 posts in this topic

what are you insinuating here? He appears to be legit - his buying history checks out, he's got good feedback, and his books appear to be real. He might have had the dreaded "double listing" [!@#%^&^] happen when eBay hiccups, I've done it several times.

Yikes! Gives some validity to those that feel even Major Keys have been Hoarded.

I guess this may be worth getting bigger scans on. grin.gif

BTW... I still need a 9.8 XM 140 (wendigo)... help a guy out and sell me one so I don't have to invest/buy the 9.8 CGC copy that's up now??? Be that true fan and pretend i'm the kid next door? I promise I'll never sell. If you're in a particularly great mood by chance.. an under-appreciated/mis-evaluated XM 120 and 121 in NM/M would be appreciated?? grin.gif Gotta take a chance.. even though it slim... for a true fan?

Unless the 129s he's selling are guaranteed to grade better than 9.2 they aren't worth anyone's time. I have a feeling they will grade anywhere from 9.0-9.2 because the starting price he set is right on the median for a 9.2.

Look at the rest of his listings. The only grades he uses are FINE, VERY FINE, and NEAR MINT. That kind of imprecision makes this a gamble I'd stay the hell away from. wink.gif

The only grades he uses are FINE, VERY FINE, and NEAR MINT. That kind of imprecision makes this a gamble I'd stay the hell away from.

Also, I think anyone should be skeptical of a seller who uses one scanned picture in "NM" grade to list 5 key books.

Exactly. I'm not saying he dosen't have these books, but I definetly don't think they're graded properly. If you're going to sell raw books of that caliber, in that amount, why not get a scanner, or have them scanned somehow? Or at least take multiple close-up pictures. If the scans were good, and I could verify that they were indeed acurately graded, I'd pull the trigger on most of his "NM" books.

Oh, and another thing that is suspect is that ALL the ASM #129 pics are the same, which means as bad as those pics are, he didn't take individual pics of each issue. Very bad. mad.gif

I get the impression that anyone who has the money to buy multiples of key books would also go through extra trouble to have them graded at "NM" to flip them for more. It seems like he's buying a grip of keys and handpicking the cherries then unloading the rest on ebay at some illusionary "NM" graded pricing to make up his investment at cost.

It's borderline fraudulent..

Directed to no one in particular:

Ok, while I agree that this seller's grading is probably bogus, there's something that's been bothering me. I have many tightly graded NM's that I've sold RAW. Does every single NM book have to be slabbed? While I agree that it is usually smart economically, I've been able to get a good multiple of guide selling raw NM's to the right people. Not everyone likes CGC, or agrees with their standard. The fact is, raw NM sales are still going on quite a bit, but it's more often in person where the buyer can drop multiples of guide because they can see the book in hand. Most NM raw books that I sell are done this way. I would never try to sell solid NM or higher raw books on ebay.

But the bottom line is that it has become pretty disturbing to me that if a book is not "certified" as a NM, then something must be up. One example was the forum member "heartened" who has a website called nighthawkcomics.com where he showcases his collection of original art and raw keys. He isn't even selling, and some people here jumped down his throat, wondering why he didn't submit his high grades if they are supposedly NM.

I like CGC, but I think it would be a sad state if EVERY NM copy of a key book was slabbed. Does this not bother anyone else? Has it gotten to the point where there is no place for a raw NM key without suspicion, even in private collections? If so, that's pretty sad.

Does every single NM book have to be slabbed?

I understand some sellers prefer raw books since it cuts down on grading costs of sending into CGC. Like you said some buyers don't like their books in CGC either so they may prefer raw. The reason why I criticized the 129 seller so much was because he's selling spuriously graded "NM" books on ebay. I have absolutely no problems with people selling raw graded books in person. Hell, i've bought raw "NM" in person but that scenario is entirely different because a buyer can examine the wares before committing. On ebay it's a leap of faith most of the time which is why CGC adds a degree of security to raw books being sold on there. I think eventually some criminally enterprising group of people will figure out how to reliably counterfeit CGC graded books and the whole house of cards will start to tumble.

Even CGC isn't a completely secure system but at least it offers some safety in transaction.. presently.

What is wrong with you?! There were no NM books before CGC!!

If I have the choice between two books that are both 9.4 and one is CGC entombed and 3x guide and the other one is liberated and 2x guide I'll be buying the liberated one thank you very much.

CGC is a last resort and not a first choice as far as I'm concerned.

Well if you want to see some really fun stuff, just check out the cgc Spidey's he listed. I don't think at the tip-top of Spidey movie mania prices approached these levels. I bet he will have to re-list at least 3 times before anything moves - that is if he lowers prices with each re-list!

like CGC, but I think it would be a sad state if EVERY NM copy of a key book was slabbed. Does this not bother anyone else? Has it gotten to the point where there is no place for a raw NM key without suspicion, even in private collections? If so, that's pretty sad.

This is a good point and it would indeed be a sad day if no more raw NM books were available for sale.

What bugs me though about these kinds of auctions is sellers trying to get CGC 9.4 prices for raw NM books. People will pay premiums for CGC books because of the grading confidence they provide and the value added aspect of the holder/ protection. Sellers should NOT expect to be receiving this premium for raw books.

This is where I think the raw market is suffering at the moment, as too many sellers are trying to cash in on the CGC hype without paying getting the books independantly graded.

>>This is where I think the raw market is suffering at the moment, as too many sellers are trying to cash in on the CGC hype without paying getting the books independantly graded.

You said it brother!!